Bluesjam

I have Vista on a Dell computer thats 2 years old. I bought the Vista upgrade to 7 version at Best Buy. I ran the upgrade advisor and it never would complete it's run. I saw from the Windows Community Forum that I should do a clean boot and then rerun the upgrade advisor. I did that, found the info on a clean boot at Microsoft, and the upgrade advisor will still not compete. If I would have known that I was going to have a problem I would have bought the full version and then just reformatted and loaded the full version in. So do I go ahead and try to load 7 anyway and see what happens? Sure could use some advice.

It seems like you are encountering issues with running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on your Vista computer. Before proceeding to upgrade, it's essential to ensure compatibility to avoid potential problems during and after the upgrade process.
If the Upgrade Advisor is not completing its run even after a clean boot, here are some steps you can take before attempting to upgrade to Windows 7:
1. Check System Requirements:
- Ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 7. This includes CPU speed, RAM, available disk space, and graphics requirements.
2. Backup Your Data:
- Before any major upgrade, it's crucial to back up all your important files and data to avoid data loss in case something goes wrong during the upgrade process.
3. Uninstall Incompatible Software:
- Remove any software that is known to be incompatible with Windows 7. Some programs may need to be updated or uninstalled before the upgrade.
4. Check for Driver Compatibility:
- Make sure that drivers for all your hardware components (such as graphics cards, network adapters, etc.) are compatible with Windows 7. Visit the manufacturers' websites to download the latest drivers if needed.
5. Run Windows Update:
- Ensure that your Vista system is fully updated with the latest patches and updates before attempting the upgrade.
6. Perform a Disk Cleanup:
- Clear out temporary files, system files, and other unnecessary data to ensure a smooth upgrade process.
If you have followed these steps and are still unable to run the Upgrade Advisor successfully, you have a few options:
  • You can try to proceed with the Windows 7 upgrade anyway, but there is a risk of encountering issues during or after the upgrade process.
  • Consider reaching out to Microsoft Support or the Windows Community Forum for further assistance and troubleshooting steps specific to your situation.
  • Alternatively, as you mentioned, purchasing the full version of Windows 7 and performing a clean installation might be a more straightforward solution if the upgrade path is proving to be problematic.
If you decide to go ahead with the upgrade, ensure you have backed up your data and are prepared for any potential issues that may arise during or after the process.
Feel free to ask if you need more specific guidance or have any other questions related to the upgrade process!

Back