Windows 7 upgrade from 32bit too 64bit

zibiam

any1 know if its posible too upgrade from 32bit too 64bit of win7. Original started up whit 32bit so that i could use most my programs, but now id like too get 64bit so i can fuly utelize my cpu and ram.

any1 know if its posible too upgrade from 32bit too 64bit of win7. Original started up whit 32bit so that i could use most my programs, but now id like too get 64bit so i can fuly utelize my cpu and ram.

No ! Cannot upgrade from 32x too 64x need to do a clean install . Sorry :)

As stated you'll need to do a clean install.. UNLESS you want to setup a dual boot configuration. ;) You could keep your existing installation and just install a 64 bit version of Windows 7 on a seperate partition or a seperate HDD.. ;) That way you could keep XP around for those few apps that just won't work on 64 bit yet.. :)

Having a 32 bit and 64 bit OS installed on either two seperate HDD's or the same HDD but on seperate partitions will work fine.. :)

I am currently running the Windows 7 RC, but I assume that to qualify for the upgrade version of the new product, I will have to qualify from the program I do own.

I currently own Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Microsoft has already said that the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade package will allow you to upgrade from Windows XP, but it will need to perform a clean install of the program (the Upgrade disks can do a clean install). Microsoft has already certified that the Upgrade Package will include a disk each for 32-bit and 64-bit in the same package. Windows Vista users can do an "upgrade" over the top of their existing OS and saving their current program settings, but Windows XP users will have to format their Hard Drive and start from the beginning with the same DVD software disk.

But, will the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 64-bit install disk authenticate my acceptability to install it if I only own a 32-bit version of Windows XP Professional with the 32-bit key that I am wanting to qualify from?

I don't believe it cares about the bit version.

FYI : With NT6 o/s (Vista/Win 7) 32 and 64 bit product keys are interchangable - a 32 bit key will activate a 64 bit installation, and vice versa.

upgrading from XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit platforms

I have an answer on this from Microsoft. You can not install windows 7 upgrade 64 bit platform on a Windows 2000, XP, or Vista 32 bit existing platform. You can not install using a clean install option either. You must purchase the full 64 bit platform DVD and install it as if you are installing windows for the first time. The platforms will not allow upgrade or downgrade.

In simple terms 32 = 32 and 64 = 64. If anyone tells you to do a clean install understand that it is not what Microsoft is referring to as a clean install when upgrading from 2000 or XP to Windows 7. Thier upgrade via clean install means they are using the same BIOS and configuration settings that is for a 32 bit machine. Everything else changes, drivers, etc but the platform it runs on is the same. If you are wanting the 64 bit capabilities and less headaches for SATA drives, then wait to get the 64 bit OS when it comes out. WIll not be out until after October, however there is no set date yet. In the mean time, I will continue to run XP Pro 32bit until then.

This is per Microsoft Tech support 1-800-642-7676 and Microsoft Pre-Sales 1-800-426-9400. But someting still bugs me.

Last edited:
If I can't use the upgrade version to go from xp x86 to win7 x64 (clean install), then I guess I won't be moving to win7 anytime soon.

Scratch that..Microsoft is not providing all the info

I have researched this even more because I am not completely satisfied with the answers I got. According to other sites, you can install and upgrade from xp32 and vista 32 to windows 7 64. However you have to replace the OS which means reinstalling all your programs. Well that makes sense. here is the info from Microsoft

Most Windows XP and Windows 2000 users have the 32-bit version of these operating systems. For example, Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows Tablet Edition and Windows Media Center Edition only come in 32-bit versions. For these operating systems, there is no upgrade installation path available when you upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system. However, you can perform a custom installation that uses an upgrade license.

After you purchase a Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:
  1. Back up all the data and the settings by using Windows XP Backup.

Note You can also use Windows Easy Transfer. This back up program is available on the Windows Vista DVD. However, you must use the version that is on the 32-bit Windows Vista DVD if you want to use Windows Easy Transfer to back up a 32-bit version of Windows.
  2. Insert the 64-bit version of Windows Vista into the system DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
  3. Start Windows Vista Setup from the DVD when you are prompted.

Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit operating system.
  4. When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select Custom as the installation type.
  5. After installation is complete, you can restore the data from its backup location.
So what gets me is the part about the upgrade license. I have not given up on this. I will get the final answer.

It would be nice if Microsoft would make this clear. I've been googling this for weeks, and keep getting conflicting info. I don't have a problem with doing a clean install (as I always do that anyways, upgrades are always a problem anyways), but I can't afford the hundreds that it will cost for the full x64 version.

It would be nice if Microsoft would make this clear. I've been googling this for weeks, and keep getting conflicting info. I don't have a problem with doing a clean install (as I always do that anyways, upgrades are always a problem anyways), but I can't afford the hundreds that it will cost for the full x64 version.

I agree with you on this. But it is not so much as the architecture as from what I have been reading at softpedia and other forums. It is more to do with licensing and that is where Microsoft gets us everytime. They have licensed your machine to run a 32 bit OS and that is all you can upgrade to. Since they provide both I would suggest this. If you have bought it, try a clean install by booting off the 64 bit DVD first and choose Custom. If you get an error saying you can't install due to system incompatability then you have to use the 32 bit DVD. If you do not want to take that chance then either try to return it for that very reason and see if they will allow you to pay the difference for the full OEM 64 bit DVD when it comes out. I will wait and just buy the full OEM DVD. Yes you are going to pay more but you get the peace of mind knowing you got the real full install. By the way, when you clean install from XP to 7 you are doing a full install however if you need to reinstall 7 again, don't be suprised if it does not require you to install XP first and then clean install 7. In other words, keep both OS DVD's.

i have a Sony VAIO FW series and a friend of mine installed windows 7 32-bit on accident instead of 64-bit. how can i put it back to 64 bit?

i have a Sony VAIO FW series and a friend of mine installed windows 7 32-bit on accident instead of 64-bit. how can i put it back to 64 bit?

You would need to uninstall the 32 -bit and reinstall the 64-bit . In other words a clean install .

Last edited:
You would need to uninstall the 32 -bit and reinstall the 64-bit . In other words a clean install .

ok i reinstalled 64-bit but im not getting the full 1920X1080 resolution. its maxed out at 1280X1024. how do i fix this?

i installed windows 7 32bit on my laptop cause i didn't know it can run 64bit. now i know that it can run 64bit i want to re install it. can i still use the product key that i used for the 32bit?

p.s. the windows 7 came in the same package 32bit and 64bit

ty in advance

i installed windows 7 32bit on my laptop cause i didn't know it can run 64bit. now i know that it can run 64bit i want to re install it. can i still use the product key that i used for the 32bit?

p.s. the windows 7 came in the same package 32bit and 64bit

ty in advance

Yes, you will have to use the same product key for the 64-bit version of Windows 7. You'll end up formatting anyways because you have to do a clean install to go from 32-bit to 64-bit (an Upgrade will NOT work in this case) so the 32-bit version will no longer be installed... Once you have the 64-bit version installed you simply activate the same way you did with the 32-bit version.. ;)

32 bit to 64 bit

You cannot upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, you need to save your all files and format the partition for a clean installation. A clean install is always best anyway.

Back
Top Bottom