Windows 7 upgrade from premium to professional

grissom

Hi

Does upgrading from windows 7 home premium to windows 7 professional involve having to re-install all other programs on my computer? I mean, I just finished installing everything when I realized that I need the professional version of windows 7 so I am hoping that I can just upgrade the OS and everything else is left alone?

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts down the road

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

There i poll going on now and "clean" install is winning by a mile,.

Just write down your 3rd part programs so you can re-install them.

I;vie done this over 5 times myself

I was afraid of that. I'm not sure I want to go there, just too many programs to re-install. Everything I need works fine on my XP machine, think I just might go back. Thanks for your quick reply.

Hi

Does upgrading from windows 7 home premium to windows 7 professional involve having to re-install all other programs on my computer? I mean, I just finished installing everything when I realized that I need the professional version of windows 7 so I am hoping that I can just upgrade the OS and everything else is left alone?
Unless I misunderstand, you have the RTM Version of Home Premium and you want to do an Anytime Upgrade to the RTM Version of Professional. M$ has actually designed the anytime upgrade to do just what you want to do. I guess I am in the minority but there are only a few files different in the two versions and neither is beta so what's the big deal? The upgrade will add a few files and update a few files in the OS and everything else will be left as is. Been there, done that and I can't tell any difference between the upgraded machine and the other with a clean install. I am not one that is in love with completely rebuilding when upgrading is a viable option. Don't get me wrong, upgrading from beta to RTM might leave a few problem files around so I don't necessarily advocate that.

Back