Windows 7 Upgrade from Vista to Win 7 Install Freezing

tiggerdn

I have tried taking out all unneccessary things from the comp, leaving 1 stick of RAM in and just the keyboard and mouse..

It always gets stuck at 61% on transferring files.

The setupact.log says 2009-11-12 22:17:27, Info SYSPRP Status: Total = 232, Complete = 142, Progress = 61% (61%)

I have tried many times from my windows 7 upgrade disk, i have the retail version of win 7 ultimate x86

I have searched for fixes and cannot figure out why this is happening. Would the freezing at 62% fix work? It says not to try it if it has any other percent so I haven't tried it. I would try a clean install but have no way to backup my files.

Thanks!

I dont have any anti virus software running also windows firewall is off. I do have ad-aware but I turned it off prior to installation

You'll probably have to backup and do a clean install. Upgrades have a high failure rate.. and even when "successful" they leave behind about 1,000 duplicate files and use older drivers that aren't compatible with Windows 7.

Sometimes the bios has to be reset or even the firmware updated.

yeah i think i will stick with vista.. i haven't had any problems with vista yet.. except for sound which i fixed finally right when win7 was released.. wierd isn't it? I think i will hold off and keep vista until I build a new comp. I dont have time for MS problems. The commercials make me sick. Thanks for your help.

I wish i could i just have half a terabyte of stuff i cannot lose... and no way to back it up..

im listening TB just no way to back up a lot of files which i dont want to part with.. i appreciate your helpfulness.

Back
Top Bottom