Windows 7 upgrade or full.. vista home prem 64bit -> win7 pro

sgvjon

I have Vista Home Premium 64bit fullversion.
I was going to purchase a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade to do a clean install, but my sister told me she had already pre-ordered Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for her Home Premium 32bit laptop.

I was wondering if I could use the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade to do a clean install for MY system. I searched on the forum and could not find an answer, but, would this be possible? Can I use my Vista product key for an upgrade to Windows 7.. or is activation not possible and I should buy an Upgrade disk for myself?

Thanks for any help, and sorry if what I'm asking is confusing.

Well, the Win 7 Professional upgrade comes with both versions and you will have to do a clean upgrade, but you still need another key. You can get those from the Microsoft site so you might check. If you decided to get the Win 7 Home Premium version, you could do an in place upgrade which would allow you to keep you old files.

Remember, you need an installed, activated version of the qualifying OS, Vista in your case. You will not be asked for a previous key during the process and the old OS will be deactivated so you can't activate it again, or so I hear.

thanks for the input. I'm planning on doing a clean install no matter what version of Win7 I get and I don't mind losing my old files, as I'll be backing up the important ones.

I was just concerned that if I do install Win7 Pro, would I still be able to use my Vista on another computer?

And I read somewhere, that as long as you have a Vista product key, you can use that as a product key when you install Windows 7?

Drew, thanks for trying to help. I know what I'm asking is confusing. I'm just going to get my own copy so there's no hassle of any kind.

I plan on doing a clean install no matter what... do you think I should get the Upgrade or the Full Version? I know that if you get the Upgrade, you can do the Custom Settings thing and do a clean install of it... but would I be losing out on any vital stuff that the Full version has?

Quote:

I have a working version of Windows 7 32bit installed onto my PC. I want to install the 64bit version, and I understand that only a clean install will do. Is there a way I can back up all the files and programmes that I have installed on my 32bit Win7 install then apply this back up when the 64bit OS is installed?
Type in "Easy Transfer" at the start / search prompt. It will tell you how to xfer your program settings to a USB stick that you can then use to restore the same data once you get X64 installed.

Quote:

I have a working version of Windows 7 32bit installed onto my PC. I want to install the 64bit version, and I understand that only a clean install will do. Is there a way I can back up all the files and programmes that I have installed on my 32bit Win7 install then apply this back up when the 64bit OS is installed?
Type in "Easy Transfer" at the start / search prompt. It will tell you how to xfer your program settings to a USB stick that you can then use to restore the same data once you get X64 installed.

uh....... what does this have to do with what I'm asking? Are you replying to the right thread?

I feel much more comfortable getting a Full version too. If I get the Full, do you think I can use my Vista on another computer?

Nothing... just ignore it if you don't care to know how to upgrade and keep your old data/files/settings
Oh, I didn't know your message was for me, sorry. I just read it, and thanks for the help. I don't think I'll be using that form of backing up my data, as I'm just going to have my hard drive start from a clean slate again. I've never had problems with Vista, but I'd rather have only the NEW OS files on there, and absolutely no old OS files. Just very nitpicky about that.

Back