Upgraded Windows 7 Pro but got Windows 10 Home

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Upgrade and Installation' started by jumper, Jul 22, 2016.

1. jumper

jumper New Member

Hi all

I've just upgraded my PC running Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10. I was expecting that I would get Windows 10 Pro but instead I can see that I now have Windows 10 Home.

I did the upgrade by using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 DVD, and then ran the Setup program from the DVD within Windows (as opposed to booting from the DVD).

Have I done something wrong?

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

Windows 10 always installed as Home, and once your Pro license is activated it will install the Pro feature set. I would confirm it's activated. From a command prompt type slmgr /dlv. If it isn't activated or it shows home, try to re-install the license. From the command prompt type slui 3 and re-enter your license. If it still doesn't work you may need to call Microsoft and work with them to get it straightened out. Licensing calls should be free.

3. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Fantastic Member
    Premium Supporter

Uh, I see the problem. You cannot run the W10 setup tool from WITHIN WINDOWS!! That must be a bootable media either DVD or USB. So, yes you did do it wrong. :noway:

BIGBEARJEDI