Upgrading 32-bit Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by musmin2415, Dec 8, 2015.

1. musmin2415

musmin2415 New Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Ok, so I'm in a bit of a bind, and I'm hoping someone can give me some simple advice. I bought an old HP Pavilion a6400f PC for my 8-yo daughter just so she can play one of her favorite games. First obstacle, I needed to upgrade nearly everything except for the mobo. Ok, no big deal - still cheaper for me in the long run. I've built my own A/V rig in the past, so I figured it'd be fun to take this on. Researched everything - the GPU, RAM, CPU, PSU - to make sure it was all compatible, etc. However, the final obstacle that I haven't been able to figure out is what I should do about the OS in order to upgrade it to 64-bit. Like I said, this was cheap (estate sale), and there were no discs that came with it. So, I'm stuck with a 32-bit Vista OS. My question....

- Should I upgrade to 64-bit OS or 7?
    - If 64-bit Vista, how??? I've googled it and I'm a little unclear on whether I can do this for free.
    - If 7, my A/V rig has 64-bit 7 Pro, but I doubt I'll be 'allowed' to use that license to install it on a second PC.

Just trying to get by spending as little $$ as possible :) Thanks for your time!
  2. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

May 22, 2012
    32bit system only... there is no path to a 64bit
    driver page = support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-a6400-Desktop-PC-series/3677047/model/3686669

Yes 32bit is so far out of date as to be worthless for kids systems.
    you can't do it for free and should not give vista to a child... they need to learn modern systems or she will get left behind the other kids.
    No you can't use that licence.

imo this system is not worth spending time or money on... I know thats not what you want to hear but I'd trash it and get the kid a tablet until she is older (around 12-14) and will look after it then get her a laptop for the shool work.