Windows 7 Upgrading From RC to Retail

Sloane100

I am running the RC version, will I be able to buy the retail upgrade when
it comes out or will I require a full retail version?

Thanks in advance!

~Chuck

There will be a list of upgrade options as far as purchase is concerned. Odds are you can upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows7 Ultimate. I doubt you will be able to upgrade from Vista Home Basic, or whatever it was called, to Windows7 Ultimate.

You will not be able to upgrade from the free RC to Windows7 retail. Upgrades are for users of a previous retail operating system.

Thanks in advance!

~Chuck
I wouldn't give up on the idea of upgrading from RC (or later) Win7 Ultimate to Retail Win7 Ultimate if you can produce a Vista Ultimate Disk at the time of the upgrade. Other M$ upgrades (Office for example) are looking for "proof" of a prior version to allow the update. I bought an upgrade version of Office 2007 and was able to do a clean install by just inserting an Office 2003 disk at the right time.

Beta versions such as Windows 7 RC do not qualify you for upgrade pricing. However, if you have an unused copy (note: not one that came with a different computer) of Windows Vista (XP might also work; it's not clear yet), that does qualify you for upgrade pricing, and you can perform that in-place upgrade from Windows 7 RC using the workaround Microsoft posted. The workaround is not recommended.

@patrickt: Upgrades from XP Home and Vista Home Basic to Vista Ultimate are allowed, so why not Vista Home Basic to 7 Ultimate?

Just a follow up on this Upgrading from rc to retail. Come October when I purchase the retail version of 7 Ultimate, will I be able to keep any of the current programs I have installed on this machine or will I have to reinstall each program individually after a fresh install?

I still don't get it, rc users can get the upgrade pack? so everyone should go download rc even if they don't have an os? cannot find any details on the microsoft page about the rc to retail upgrade, in the interview brad brookes says "For those customers I've got something special, which is for customers in the U.S., Canada, and Japan, starting tomorrow on June 26th, is they will be able to pick up a copy or they'll be able to pre-order, excuse me, a copy of Windows 7 for delivery on October 22nd of either Home Premium or Windows 7 Pro versions. Home Premium in the U.S., example pricing will be 49.99, and the Pro version will be for 99.99." is he talking about the full version? I am running win 7 on a brand new home built clean system, am I gonna be able to use the upgrade or is it gonna be a waste of my money if I purchase the upgrade?

I found out that if you have windows rc, you can upgrade to full version, lucky for me because rc was the only os I have on my machine and was planning on getting xp soon but I won't even have to do that, just need to fork over 99 bucks for the pro upgrade, yay! I called the windows 7 ordering line to find this out, they had me on hold for 15 minutes trying to figure out if the upgrade would work for rc to ga...

I found out that if you have windows rc, you can upgrade to full version, lucky for me because rc was the only os I have on my machine and was planning on getting xp soon but I won't even have to do that, just need to fork over 99 bucks for the pro upgrade, yay! I called the windows 7 ordering line to find this out, they had me on hold for 15 minutes trying to figure out if the upgrade would work for rc to ga...
Don't get your hopes up quite yet. You might want to wait and see if others in the forum agree with your claim. Did you receive any details on how to do this??

Don't get your hopes up quite yet. You might want to wait and see if others in the forum agree with your claim. Did you receive any details on how to do this??
well that's why I called in and asked because I didn't want to buy a 99 dollar software that's basically useless to me although I could probably just sell it on ebay if I can't use it... I was reassured by the representative who did not know off hand but she asked someone around her and still wasn't positive so she asked her supervisor and said that it would be, I have already pre-ordered it so I'm gonna cross my fingers and pray, o by the way, don't buy from microsoft directly, shipment cost money and it'll take longer... amazon or newegg, much better and I'm quite certain if it doesn't work amazon or newegg would be more willing to help then microsoft!!

Do you have the Phone number for the rc7 upgrade info? I've looked everywhere but I'm pretty new to this stuff. :confused: I have the same situation and the same questions as you about upgrading from the rc version to the retail version. I had (?) vista home premium before I installed the rc version. Sure would hate to waste the money for retail if I cant upgrade from rc. I guess if everything else fails, I can fresh install the Vista Home Premium and then do the upgrade to & Home Premium but thats kinda a long way around the situation. Hope Microsoft has an answer for this :frown:.

Do you have the Phone number for the rc7 upgrade info? I've looked everywhere but I'm pretty new to this stuff. :confused: I have the same situation and the same questions as you about upgrading from the rc version to the retail version. I had (?) vista home premium before I installed the rc version. Sure would hate to waste the money for retail if I cant upgrade from rc. I guess if everything else fails, I can fresh install the Vista Home Premium and then do the upgrade to & Home Premium but thats kinda a long way around the situation. Hope Microsoft has an answer for this :frown:.
18776967786 is the phone number but if I were you I'd just go ahead and order it, from what I understand, the number of pre-orders are limited, don't really know to how many but you can always cancel the order if anything comes up...

If you can figure this out:

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 7

For Windows 7 Milestones, Microsoft has revealed that:

- Windows 7 M3 to Windows 7 Beta in-place upgrade is supported;
- Windows 7 M3 to Windows 7 RC in-place upgrade is NOT supported;
- Windows 7 M3 to Windows 7 RTM in-place upgrade is NOT supported;
- Windows 7 Beta to Windows 7 RC in-place upgrade is supported;
- Windows 7 Beta to Windows 7 RTM in-place upgrade is NOT supported;
- Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 RTM in-place upgrade is supported.

At the same time, the company notes that, “Beta to RC paths are not supported.” and that, “RC to RTM paths are not supported.” For the jump between Windows 7 RTM editions, Microsoft has defined three paths: “RIU = Repair in-place upgrade is supported. This is a Microsoft Customer Service and Support scenario where the user performs a ‘Windows 7 SKU’ to ‘Windows 7 same SKU’ in-place upgrade as a means of repair (for example, upgrading Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. RIUx86 = Repair in-place upgrade is supported for x86 only. WAU = Windows Anytime Upgrade is supported. WAU uses the Transmogrifier platform to transform a lower Windows 7 SKU to a higher Windows 7 SKU (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows 7 Ultimate.)”

Windows 7 to Windows 7 upgrades:

- Windows 7 Starter RIUx86 upgrades Windows 7 Starter, and WAU upgrades to Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate;
- Windows 7 Home Basic RIU upgrades to Windows 7 Home Basic, and WAU upgrades to Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate;
- Windows 7 Home Premium RIU upgrades to Windows 7 Home Premium, and WAU upgrades to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate;
- Windows 7 Professional RIU upgrades to Windows 7 Professional, and WAU upgrades to Windows 7 Ultimate;
- Windows 7 Enterprise RIU upgrades to Windows 7 Enterprise;
- Windows 7 Ultimate RIU upgrades to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Not so quick

The first link is working now and it says near the bottom....

[URL="http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/en-US/?user=Carey%20Frisch&referrer=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.technet.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2fw7itprogeneral%2fthread%2f76b0e249-37e7-414e-b81b-cbdd48c29474%2f&rh=5rXfWV6lLWua4YCdXceCBe86rlGNbgeJn7ffbxECVD0%3d&sp=forums"]Carey FrischMVP, Answerer[/URL]

RC to RTM paths are not supported despite what that preliminary doc states.

"This document supports a preliminary release of a software product that may be changed substantially prior to final commercial release. This document is provided for informational purposes only and Microsoft makes no warranties, either express or implied, in this document."
Carey Frisch

Thanks in advance!

~Chuck
As Radenight says in a link else where, you can get any upgrade version and do a clean install with a little trick.

Back