Windows 7 Upgrading from Vista Ultimate to W7 Premium or Pro

well, I guess upgrades are always a pain... it does save some money though, ms is a business, I guess they gotta get there's, but do they really NEED that much? c'mon bill gates, don't you have enough money now?:razz:

Yes Bill is extremely rich. But he won the OS wars back in the day. He developed an OS that is able to be used by millions with very little effort or know how. And unlike Apple and Linux; Windows runs any hardware/software on the shelf today out of the box.

Apple stifles compitition in a huge way. Linux is reliant on a free community (for the most part).

Development of Windows Software takes a lot of RnD, and they are a Software Only Company (yes like linux), but unlike Apple, who over charges for their Intel (under the hood Branded) Hardware, and under charges for their OS. New Mac only costs $30. Damn well better after the amount of money you spend on the hardware you can get much cheaper on New Egg and build your own system that will run OSX just fine, but you aren't allowed to legally do.

yea, I would totally have a mac pro if I could afford one, but I don't really think the price of windows is justified, I do understand how the market works, but still don't really see the justification especially when the life of a OS seems to be shrinking as the years go by and I'd stay with an older OS if it wasn't for microsoft dropping all support after a few years of a new OS...

o, and as an xp user until win7, this would not benefit me but, microsoft really should have had a better discount for people who have vista, kinda sucks for people who were switching to vista late and had just bought vista...

i still don't understand why Apple made it illegal to put their OS on other hardware. so they say OSX is the best OS ever but how the hell am i supposed to get at it if i can only afford to spend $400 on a new laptop? am i really supposed to believe its worth the price difference? if every computer on the shelf had the option of Mac OSX or Windows 7, i guarantee the "OS War" would be a hell of a lot closer than 10% to 90%. probably pretty close to dead 50/50. Macs and PCs both have Intel processors under the hood. you can even hack OSX to run on AMD systems! whats the difference? rebadge the same hardware in a fancy case and suddenly its worth 3 times what it was? no. its all about the image and mentality that is associated with Macs. sorry to use the "computers are like cars" simile but no one needs a Lexus. they want to show off and fell better than everyone while the guy in the next lane has a Toyota that he payed half the price for with the same drivetrain. just minus the ego. ok rant is over

i still don't see the advantage Mac OSX has over Ubuntu. Linux is free. if you want something obscure thats not compatible with any major software shouldn't it at least be free?

especially when the life of a OS seems to be shrinking as the years go by
This has always been the planned business model. The reason XP has been around so long, was the several delays in Longhorn.
One of those major delays being, they stopped dev work on longhorn to work on XP SP2. Then they decided to change the longhorn model at the last miniute (I think due to it was going to break just about every 3rd party software/driver out there, and something to do with exFat).

This caused XP to hang around much much longer than it was supposed to.

With that said, I think the 5 year model is too short myself and should be about 7 years for a major OS change, with service packs adding new functionality, patches and fixes in between. That's my thought, but that is not the way it will be.

So, Vista was long past due for release and 7 is a little too soon (Partially due to the bad rap that Vista received, and that the underlying engine changed and did break some things, not all things, but 3rd party needed a stepping stone to catch up).
Plus, people don't like change until they have to. Win 7 is going to start forcing some real changes. Anyway.

It was believed some years ago, that Mac would become an OS Only company to compete with Windows.
Mac won't compete fully with Windows till it does.

Again I say, Apple stifles competition much much much much more than MS ever has or ever will.
I will never purchase a Mac because of that. They are far more evil in competition than MS and Bill Gates could ever dream of being.

Back