Windows 7 Upgrading from XP

Lyrositor

I have read a lot about Windows 7 and am really excited about it. I would like to install it on my Windows XP Dell Inspiron 1150. The Upgrade assitant (or whatever it's called) told me I met minimum requirements. I know I am elegible for the cheaper Upgrade version, but what I can't understand is this:
How does it know if I have XP or not?
I am planning on buying it at Amazon. Do I need to send them some sort of proof that I own Windows XP? Or, when I run the installation, will it read into the reigstry or something like that and see my kernel is Windows XP and thus applicable for the upgrade?
I don't want to pay up 120$ just to have the upgrade not work. So can anyone please help me?

'Lyro'

1st, please take note - One cannot do an in-place upgrade XP > Windows 7... a clean install is required.

In answer to your specific query - you get asked for the Key from the prior OS

Drew
It never ask me for my xp key. If you need your xp key, download produkey

Realy? You don't need your key?
Any anyway, when I unzip your produkey, the .exe file doesn't show up, but the readme and CHTML do.

Realy? You don't need your key?
Any anyway, when I unzip your produkey, the .exe file doesn't show up, but the readme and CHTML do.

I have an older version, but I don't have xp installed anymore to test it. It doesn't seem to work in win 7. I've used in on my buddy's computer after he lost his xp key.

I just put in the upgrade dvd, rebooted (after setting dvd drive to boot first in bios) and did a custom install. I was never asked for my xp key. I went from xp home x32 to windows 7 home premium x64.

So in conclusion, there's no need to fear upgrading from XP. As long as I back up all my stuff, I'm okay, right?

Back