Windows 7 USB selection missing from boot sequence

donaldadkins

Hi

I have a Tosiba p205 2-6287 4gb Ram, 250gb hdd, windows 7 home premium 64-bit OS.

I've noticed that my USB selection from the boot sequence is missing when I select F12 on boot-up. It use to be there as the last selection but somehow disappeared. Don't know how I goofed this one.

If I have a USB flash drive attached when I boot-up it recognizes it as a hdd and it works fine, just confusing.

Anybody know how to reset this to the original sequence.

Thanks,
Don

On my notebook pressing F12 during POST will bring up a menu that allows me to specify the boot device.
This doesn't change the boot order in the BIOS, it just allows you to specify the boot device for that session only.
By default pressing F12 shows my HDD and Optical drive only unless a USB device is plugged in before starting up.
This includes USB HDD's, Flash drives and USB Floppy drives.
If no USB device is plugged in then only the default System HDD and Optical drive is shown.

Is this what pressing F12 during POST do for you?
Maybe a BIOS setting has changed.

BTW, I use this feature alot, sure beats entering the BIOS when you want to boot to a different device.

USB Boot

On my notebook pressing F12 during POST will bring up a menu that allows me to specify the boot device.
This doesn't change the boot order in the BIOS, it just allows you to specify the boot device for that session only.
By default pressing F12 shows my HDD and Optical drive only unless a USB device is plugged in before starting up.
This includes USB HDD's, Flash drives and USB Floppy drives.
If no USB device is plugged in then only the default System HDD and Optical drive is shown.

Is this what pressing F12 during POST do for you?
Maybe a BIOS setting has changed.

BTW, I use this feature alot, sure beats entering the BIOS when you want to boot to a different device.

Hi,

Yes, that's exactly how my laptop works. Maybe I was just seeing things but I could have sworn there was always a USB selection in the boot sequence, even when I didn't have one plugged in. The only problem it causes me is when I use a reader with adapter in the USB port. It no longer recognizes the reader, it thinks it's a hdd.

I can still use my built-in card reader though, so no big problem. I'm sure I goofed this somehow. I wonder if the laptop has a factory reset? I'll have to do some checking. I'm a little OCD about having everyting working right - ha...

Thanks for your input.

Don

Hi,

Yes, that's exactly how my laptop works. Maybe I was just seeing things but I could have sworn there was always a USB selection in the boot sequence, even when I didn't have one plugged in. The only problem it causes me is when I use a reader with adapter in the USB port. It no longer recognizes the reader, it thinks it's a hdd.

I can still use my built-in card reader though, so no big problem. I'm sure I goofed this somehow. I wonder if the laptop has a factory reset? I'll have to do some checking. I'm a little OCD about having everyting working right - ha...

Thanks for your input.

Don
I'm sure your BIOS has a factory reset, try entering your BIOS and checking there for a key combo or F key that will reset to default. On my machine F2 during POST gets me into BIOS setup.
The F12 menu also has a link to setup.
Be careful mucking around in BIOS if you don't know what you are doing you could render your machine unusable.

Back
Top Bottom