Windows 7 usb3 drive causes BSOD!

artoo

For some reason the 2nd time I plub in an exernal USB3 HD to my USB3 4 port hub, I get the dreaded BSOD!!! I do eject the drive by right clicking on the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" and choosing the drive.

When i connect a USB 3 HD or flash drive to my hub later on, I end up getting the BSOD and it reboots the computer. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same device either. I have tired different ports as well. I also have noticed that if I connect a USB2 device after ejecting a USB3 device I do not have the same problems.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Hi Artoo,
I moved your thread to the correct section.
In order to help you we need to read the dump file created when your machine blue screened. The Dump files are found in a folder marked Minidump. This folder can be found in the main Windows folder. If you can't find it or no dump files are present then you probably need to change settings so they get created:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs.
Once you have some dump files read the thread found here and post the results:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.38837/

In the meantime you could always try updating the USB3 drivers.

Back