bcolburn

Where in the user profile are user environment variables stored? I had an issue that our IT support decided to fix by creating a new profile for me and then copying over what they thought I needed from the original profile. They missed my environment variables and I haven't been able to find them.

Thx in advance!

User environment variables in Windows are typically stored in the Windows Registry. Specifically, user-specific environment variables are stored in the Registry key associated with the user's profile.

Here is the location where user environment variables are stored:

- Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

Within this Registry key, you will find entries for the user-specific environment variables.

When your IT support team created a new profile for you, they might not have transferred the environment variables along with other settings. You can manually add or modify environment variables in the Registry if needed.

To view and edit user environment variables:

1. Press Windows Key + R to open the "Run" dialog.
2. Type regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
3. Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment key.
4. Here, you can view and edit the user-specific environment variables.

If you are uncomfortable working directly in the Registry, you can also manage environment variables through the System Properties dialog:

1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Navigate to System and Security > System.
3. Click on "Advanced system settings" on the left.
4. In the System Properties window, go to the "Advanced" tab.
5. Click on the "Environment Variables" button.
6. Here, you can view and edit both user and system environment variables.

If you find that your environment variables are missing or incorrect in the Registry, you can manually add or edit them to set the appropriate values.

If you need further assistance with setting environment variables, feel free to ask!

Back