Ventrilo Lagging Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by veritas310, Jan 13, 2009.

1. veritas310

veritas310 New Member

*I apologize, I posted this in hardware first, unaware of where I was :)

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how many of you use Ventrilo to play online games (i.e. CS 1.6) but I've had a few minor issues with the program. For starters I've had this problem in both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of the program. The issue is sporadic but happens every time I run the program. Voice chat will appear to be working just fine, however after a few minutes you'll notice that when you talk there are no immediate responses. After a few minutes more you hear all the previous dialog linked together in one big audio stream, like it lagged and tried to catch-up in fast-forward. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping this, along with the ATI OpenGL issue will be addressed soon. Other than that, I've had a great initial experience with 7 thus far. Love the forum as well!

Mike
    veritas

2. Neon401

Neon401 New Member

Hmm, now that you mention it, this issue happened to me when I was talking to my friend the other day. I thought it was only him lagging, but he insisted that it was me. :p

3. veritas310

veritas310 New Member

Hah

I had a feeling it wasn't just me. I tried it on both the 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 Beta (and Ventrilo client). Both have yielded the same results. Hopefully Ventrilo will be proactive and release a beta for 7. Thanks for the reply!

Mike
    veritas

4. Theisticnomad

Theisticnomad New Member

Just had this happen to me and checked out this thread. Sad to see there doesn't seem to be any immediate fix.

5. mynd

mynd New Member

There actually is a fix. I was able to achieve great communications by choosing SFX settings with your hardware and direct sound and choosing left and right front speaker ( add ). Give it a whirl you will be surprised that it might work.

6. Coven

Coven New Member

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try it tonight come raid time. I noticed though that you are running the 32-bit version of Ventrillo - are you doing so with Windows 7? Have you tried the 64 bit of Ventrillo?

7. mynd

mynd New Member

I am not running the 64 bit version of ventrilo. I am indeed running windows 7 build 7000. Good luck to you.. I also run ventrilo as compatibility admin. This allows on games like DDO or NWN the ability for it to exist in the background and still run properly. I came across an OPTION on my sound device ( properties ) that enable the application to take full control of the device. I removed that check mark cause I did not want the foreground application ( as I saw it, ddo ) to restrict ventrilo in any way. You might want to look into that on your sound device options and configuration tabs.

Good Luck

8. Coven

Coven New Member

Hmmm...the screen print you linked shows the 32 bit version though. Thank you for your responses and help. I'm going to give your suggestion a try tonight.

9. Theisticnomad

Theisticnomad New Member

This seems to be working alright for me.

I'm starting to get annoyed with windows 7 though, initially there weren't many bugs and I figured I could just use it until beta ended or it was released. Sadly though, windows installation issues and the lack of ability to use internet explorer 8 and windows live messenger and stuff are pushing me away from it =(

Sorry, not trying to push off topic.

10. mynd

mynd New Member

Great news/// However, not sure why you are having issues with IE8 and WLM for windows 7.. I have both and both are working perfectly.. Did you download the latest WLM for windows 7? Google it.. or check here as I have posted a link to the new WLM in another thread.. If you need help let me know.. :D

11. Theisticnomad

Theisticnomad New Member

12. haxcid

haxcid Senior Member

As for the original post regarding lag in ventrilo.

Set the process priority to above normal or high. That fixed the issue for me. No more lag. It is not a great solution but it works until the issue can be resolved by the ventrilo software people.

13. tbk3

tbk3 New Member

awww

hy, got anyone a solution for ventrilo 2.1.4 for lagg on win7? thx;)

14. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

At a later date MS are releasing an XP mode update . So all your software issues will in the near future be a thing of the past . Good luck and hope this helps in some small way :)

15. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King

Vetrilo try it with win7 winXP compatibility mode

Lots of folks are reporting big issues with ventrilo . Try it with windows XP compatibility mode and it should in theory work .

16. phoeeee

phoeeee New Member

Hehe thats a nice solution but what if I use older version of ventrilo ? I cant see any SFX options :'< Is there a solution for 2.1.x ones aswell?

17. knuckles

knuckles New Member

I'm glad I found this thread, as I thought I was going out of my mind. I just installed Windows 7 today and have the same problem as everyone else here. I have not yet tried the solution, but just wanted to make note that this is still occurring on Windows7/Ventrilo as of today.

18. whoosh

whoosh Cooler King

Yes following this thread because I am a member of a clan playing UT- Unreal Tournament . So Ventrilo has some importance in planning while playing etc . Glad to say have not played for some time while exploring windows 7 . Issue with Vent are a worry .

19. stackrouse

stackrouse New Member

Any updates on this?

20. avnos

avnos New Member

i'm having the same issue with 64 bit ventrilo on win 7. I am going to try setting priority to above normal.