Windows 7 Video settings Won't Work

aliasthad

Hi,

I have new Sony CW laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit) with an Nvidia GeForce GT 230m graphics card.

The tiny problem I have is that I can't adjust the video settings (colour/contrast/brightness etc.) in Windows Media Player 12 as I am used to being able to do in previous versions. I use this function all the time and it is not enough for me to simply change the global settings as I know it should be possible within Windows Media Player.

I updated the Nvidia driver and downloaded the K-Lite codec pack (too complicated - didn't know which codecs to adjust) with no result. The Nvidia control panel settings are all set to 'use the video player's adjustment controls' and I have had no luck adjusting any of the options.

I have read online about video overlay, but I cannot find any options for this in the Nvidia control panel, and I don't even know if that is the problem. I also looked at the Display options in the Control Panel but nothing worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

**Additional Information**

I discovered that the Brightness/Contrast controls do work in Quicktime and KMPlayer, but I've still had no luck achieving the same with Windows Media Player 12. I downloaded the Windows 7 Codec Pack to no effect. Here is a list of the codecs installed according to the technical info on Windows Media Player:

Microsoft RLE
Microsoft Video 1
Microsoft YUV
Intel IYUV codec IYUV
Toshiba YUV Codec
Cinepak Codec by Radius
Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)
DivX 6.8.5 YV12 Decoder
ffdshow Video Codec
VP60® Simple Profile
VP61® Advanced Profile
VP62® Heightened Sharpness Profile
Mpeg4s Decoder
WMV Screen decoder
WMVideo Decoder
Mpeg43 Decoder
Mpeg4 Decoder

Last edited:
Hi,
If anyone is interested, I solved this problem with my Sony Vaio myself. A program called 'Vaio Event Service', which enables 'hot keys' and displays on-screen cues for volume and brightness control, conflicted with Windows Media Player 12's Video Settings. If 'Vaio Event Service' is turned off in 'System Configuration/Services', the video controls will work properly in Windows Media Player 12 at the expense of the above-mentioned Vaio controls.
Kind Regards. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom