Windows 7 VirtualBox - Windows 7

Nisko

I'm running Windows 7 as my OS and have just installed VirtualBox. I'd like to know if files can be transferred between Windows 7 and Windows 7 running inside VirtualBox.

similar to XP-Mode you can create network folders in VB connecting to 7 - just make sure you share all those 7 folders you want access to. Fairly simple issue, really, even setting the network adapter to bridged mode. Once the folder is shared (to everyone) it will be visible in VB.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. I'm going to stick with VirtualBox (for now). I've never heard of 'bridged networking.' Perhaps you could elaborate on how to do this. I'm having difficulty seeing how this works because VirtualBox is *inside* a folder on the primary OS. Thanks.

Since I haven't gotten this far (as you) in setting up my VPC, I need to ask: To get to the screen named Studio VM Settings, I'm assuming that you click on Settings in the VirtualBox window - then click on Network in the Settings window - and then the Adapter 1 tab. DONE! I've set up a folder in the root directory of my primary OS to act as a shared folder. Now,how do I access that folder from the primary OS and from the Virtual OS? Thank you......

Last edited:
I assume you have created *your* vdi (virtual disk) already? - Studio VM is my (not your) vdi.

If your left pane is blank you have to create your vdisk first - click on new and follow the wizard. Create your vdi big enough for the guest OS and pagefile - be generous.

The shared folder you have set up must be an everyone-share you can have many folders or use existing folders but do not use any 7-folders under /user - keep in mind these folders will show up as network folders in the guest OS (not sure which OS you want inside VB).

Access this folder from within 7? - open windows explorer and there you go...
Access this folder from inside the guest OS? - browse network, find those shared folders (should show up there) and connect them...that's it!

Depending on what's your guest OS... this instructions here cover a Windows guest..I can not speak of any Linux based guest OS since it is a decade ago I last saw Linux.

hope this helps

Thank you. My primary OS is Windows 7 and my Virtual OS will be Windows 7 (I haven't created it yet - will do tomorrow). The size will be 20GB - big enough? Please tell me exactly how to make a folder a shared folder in my primary OS. I have never done this before. I think I was successful by unchecking Read Only. However, in Explorer. there is a lock icon next to the folder icon. This seems to indicate that the folder is still locked. I'm confused!

As far as hd size I would go bigger 40 Gig. I assume that Virtual Box Like VM ware uses a virtual drive the actual size is variable not what the maximum size is I have a clone of my desktop and like the desktop it say 99 Gig. The actual file size is about 33 Gig. Did you share the locked folder? What is your intended use for the Virtual machine? What little I have read about Virtualbox is that netoworking is still not simple for somebody not familiar with more advanced networking. I find the VMware Player simpler to use. I haven't used Virtualbox for a few years, I switched to VMware Workstation basically a paid and more advanced version of the Player. They are both good products I just prefer the VMware no headaches networking it, just select bridged in control panel. The latest version Of VMware player allows you to create the vm, that was not in earlier editions.
Joe

Last edited:
Thank you. My primary OS is Windows 7 and my Virtual OS will be Windows 7 (I haven't created it yet - will do tomorrow). The size will be 20GB - big enough? Please tell me exactly how to make a folder a shared folder in my primary OS. I have never done this before. I think I was successful by unchecking Read Only. However, in Explorer. there is a lock icon next to the folder icon. This seems to indicate that the folder is still locked. I'm confused!

If you got the space give it 30 for a bit more air to breath

below the share - right-click folder/properties..as shown

Link Removed due to 404 Error

and in case you have no 7 Everyone class (for your folder) just add it as shown below - modify rights as needed but usually you will need at least Read/Write

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed help. I'll enlarge the images in a little while to see the detail. PLEASE stay tuned today in case I have more questions (which, undoubtedly I will). This is my first try at using a virtual machine. Thanks again!!

Nisko,
Imageshack - just click on the image, once loaded, for a 100% view! Images are more than plenty big ;)

Yes, but some of the words in the images are blurred so you can't read them. Tomorrow, I'm going to go through what I see (images) when I attempt to set a folder as shared. It seems different than what you showed me. Thanks.......

the blurred areas are intended as it's my disk privacy - what you can read should be enough to give you the idea what to change/where to change. My disk/users details will not help you even you could read them ;)

sorry for the confusion!

Thanks - I didn't know about ImageShack. Good site to be familiar with. Perhaps today I can post MY images (because they're a little different than yours) and ask you my questions. Thank you.

Back