Windows 10 Virtualization on laptop

RFcomptech

HI, I would like to say Hello to everyone. I have 2 computers, a laptop and a desktop. My laptop is an old Dell Inspiron 1545 from around 2009. My desktop is one I put together myself. The Laptop has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and it had Vista on it when it was new, I bought it used, I put Windows 7 Pro on it when I went to school. it now has Windows 10. I know that Hyper-V won't work on it, in fact checked and the cpu has no virtualization and the bios don't have anything on virtualization in it. I wold like to run XP cause I have an install disk for XP and I have older software that only works under XP. My question is can I run Windows XP on a virtual drive, Oracle Virtualbox, or dual boot with Windows 10, From what I have read that works.

You definitely can run WinXP on an Oracle Virtualbox machine, but if it is possible to setup a dual boot pc with Win10 and WinXP I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

You could dual boot, but you'll want to install Windows XP first (rule of thumb is install the oldest OS first) you may not have driver support though. You also can run Virtualbox with pure software only virtualization, but only if you use virtualbox 6.0 which will be end of life in June. A better optin might be to buy an old computer on ebay or other site and just load XP on there and keep it off the internet

You definitely can run WinXP on an Oracle Virtualbox machine, but if it is possible to setup a dual boot pc with Win10 and WinXP I'm not sure.

Please forgive me, I haven't done this before. I think you can, at least I saw you could on the internet. From my understanding, you install Oracle Virtualbox machine on the laptop. I am not sure how to setup the virtualbox, and I don't know how to install Windows
xp on virtualbox. From the research that I have done you are right it would be better to put xp on virtualbox. the other question is can you help me to setup Virtualbox and setup xp on it?

You could dual boot, but you'll want to install Windows XP first (rule of thumb is install the oldest OS first) you may not have driver support though. You also can run Virtualbox with pure software only virtualization, but only if you use virtualbox 6.0 which will be end of life in June. A better optin might be to buy an old computer on ebay or other site and just load XP on there and keep it off the internet
I don't have the money to buy a laptop. I have looked over my options and I am going to go with, virtualbox by Oracle. I have asked
GDany for help but right now any help would be very much appreciated.

Upon further investigation I think I should have posted my question in the virtualization forum. I will now better next time. I would like to
thank everybody who has replied to my question. Thank You very much and your responses.

Please forgive me, I haven't done this before. I think you can, at least I saw you could on the internet. From my understanding, you install Oracle Virtualbox machine on the laptop. I am not sure how to setup the virtualbox, and I don't know how to install Windows
xp on virtualbox. From the research that I have done you are right it would be better to put xp on virtualbox. the other question is can you help me to setup Virtualbox and setup xp on it?
1. Download the Virtualbox installer from here Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox (under VirtualBox 6.1.2 platform packages, windows hosts)
2. Download the Virtualbox extension pack for all supported platforms
3. Install VB as any other windows program
4. Open VB interface
5. Install the extension pack by double-clicking on the previously downloaded file
6. Create a new virtual machine from VB interface and follow the wizard. You will have to tell the wizard what type of machine you want to create (winxp in your case), how much RAM memory the machine will have (this depends on how much available physical memory your laptop has), how big the virtual hdd will be (this depends on how much space you have on your laptop's physical hdd) and were you want it located (in fact, this will be a big file which will contain the xp operating system and the programs you are going to install on it, so make big enough). It is possible to make the virtual hdd dynamic, meaning that it will be able to grow in time. Of course you will have to tell the wizard you will need a network card too.
7. You'll have also to assign an optical drive to your machine which will be your laptop's dvd drive or an external dvd drive with the WinXP disk on it.
8. Save the XP machine and then start it like you start any computer. Due to the fact you do not have yet a bootable virtual hdd, the machine will run the XP dvd, that is, the WinXP setup.
9. Do not worry, after you'll finish installing the operating system you will be able to change different machine parameters, like memory, video memory, peripherals, etc.
10. Now you will be able to install your old programs. To do this you will have to use physical setup disks or disk images or you will have to share a folder on your win10 hdd, were you will copy the install files for your programs, one at a time, and then, using the extension pack already installed, you will have to mount the shared folder to your WinXP environment.
11. Once you do this, you can install any program you want.
12. You also could upload your setup files to a cloud and then download them to the XP machine from inside it.

I hope this will give you an image of what you are going to do.

Thank you very much GDany. I really appreciate all of the information as that will help me quite a bit and I know that you spent a lot of time putting it together. Thank you very much and I really appreciate you doing this.

I'm not sure if you saw it in my post, but you will need VirtualBox 6.0.X and not 6.1. 6.0 is the last build to support software virtualization 6.1 and higher requires hardware that support VT-X.

Download_Old_Builds_6_0 – Oracle VM VirtualBox
Thank you, good to know, I wasn't aware about that, I wrote everything from memory and I'm sure that the last pc I used VirtualBox on it had hardware virtualization.

Back
Top Bottom