Windows 8 Virus Removed/Corrupted Sound Drivers!!!

FrameEnder

this problem has started awhile ago I don't know what caused it, but whatever it is it has either deleted, or corrupted the sound drivers on my computer, because whenever I try to use the Audio service on the my x64 Windows 8.1 Dell Laptop it just pops up a Detecting Problems Box, and the Audio Button on the taskbar has a red x on top of it I have tried using All Driver Based IObit programs which resolve a lot of issues, but they can't seem to fix the problem which they can manage to detect there is one infact I have used their own driver booster to attempt to update and install the Realtek Audio Driver back into the system it still doesn't work is there any solutions you guys have to this I'm just sick of not being able to hear sound on my computer which is the only noticible issue from the virus, and is a software problem not a hardware problem.
acs9ci.png

Last edited:
If you could post the make and model of your machine that would help also a screenshot of the device manager too please.

To be honest those IObit driver system care apps can do more damage than good and personally I'd remove anything installed that is related.
Also can you find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await the results

Have you tried uninstalling the audio driver first?

I would also try completely removing the audio drivers and download and install from the manufacturer site. Open an elevated command prompt. CD to your desktop and type pnputil -e >> Drivers.txt. Open the text file created on your desktop and locate all the audio drivers. They should have a corresponding oem###.inf file. Then back in your cmd window type pnputil -d oem###.inf for each driver. This should completely remove them. pnputil is better than device manager because you may have multiple versions of your a driver. Now install the current driver from the manufacturer site.

If you could post the make and model of your machine that would help also a screenshot of the device manager too please.

To be honest those IObit driver system care apps can do more damage than good and personally I'd remove anything installed that is related.
Also can you find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow

Have you tried uninstalling the audio driver first?
My Laptop is a Inspiron 15 3000 Series the Model Number is JM81312 I have a screenshot of the device manager however nothing there appears to show a problem which worries me even further I haven't tried uninstalling the drivers yet because I don't know enough about that and rather not make matters worse.

dpzj1d.png

I would also try completely removing the audio drivers and download and install from the manufacturer site. Open an elevated command prompt. CD to your desktop and type pnputil -e >> Drivers.txt. Open the text file created on your desktop and locate all the audio drivers. They should have a corresponding oem###.inf file. Then back in your cmd window type pnputil -d oem###.inf for each driver. This should completely remove them. pnputil is better than device manager because you may have multiple versions of your a driver. Now install the current driver from the manufacturer site.
Thank you for giving me some useful info that can be helpful although I don't understand how to do all that I'm sorry to ask this, but if you, or anyone could make that idiot proof that would be much appreciated cause I'm not very good at cmd, and I don't want to try this unless I know I wont screw it up, and make matters any worse then it already is.

Hi,
try rolling back the drivers on the sound device first of all as this simple procedure has saved many a users sound. My screenshot gives you a general idea what to do but basically right click the sound device, choose properties then roll back driver:
drivers.jpg

Hi,
try rolling back the drivers on the sound device first of all as this simple procedure has saved many a users sound. My screenshot gives you a general idea what to do but basically right click the sound device, choose properties then roll back driver:
ATTACH=full]30204[ ATTACH]
Thank you for helping it didn't work for me though, I also tried going to realtek's own website, and downloading the compatible driver installer which uninstalled the old driver, and reinstalled the new one however that didn't seem to work aswell.

Edit: I found out that the service for the Realtek Audio Device in the services.msc window is stuck at starting which sounds like the problem seeing how I checked the Windows Audio Services and all it dependencies to make sure they where running properly which they where I just don't get it...

Last edited:
Ok thank you for trying that. Let's see what state Windows is in by running a scan called the System File checker. This will look for corruption with the operating system:
Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and then run as admin. Type (or copy and paste):
sfc /scannow

Please post what the results say. If there is corruption which can't be repaired the details will be placed in a log called CBS. You'll find this in the main Windows folder please upload.

Ok thank you for trying that. Let's see what state Windows is in by running a scan called the System File checker. This will look for corruption with the operating system:
Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and then run as admin. Type (or copy and paste):
sfc /scannow

Please post what the results say. If there is corruption which can't be repaired the details will be placed in a log called CBS. You'll find this in the main Windows folder please upload.
I tried running the scan however it was stuck, and wouldn't show any results
qx9yjr.png

So I messed around a bit found how to fix the Realtek Audio Device from being stuck in the starting position by rolling the update back, and reinstalling it then after I rebooted the system I followed the steps in this ( http://tech.jecal22.com/windows-8-and-windows-8-1-control-panel-hangsfreezes/ ) website article, and changed both registry keys manually that they show in part 1, and 2 after that I rebooted the system and had sound

Steps taken to fix (All Used From The Website)
  1. Open regedit.exe (Through Windows 7 Search, or Windows+R Run)
  2. Navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\netprofm\Parameters
  3. Check the value of ServiceDLL, it should be exactly as follows: "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\netprofmsvc.dll"
  4. If it is not, change it to match the above value.
  5. then...
  6. Then navigate this key aswell: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AudioEndpointBuilder\Parameters
  7. Check the value of ServiceDLL it should be as follows: "%SystemRoot%\System32\AudioEndpointBuilder.dll"
  8. if its not, change it to match the above
  9. After making both changes, reboot the system, and look for symptoms again.

Back
Top Bottom