Windows 7 Vista 64 bit to win7 64 bit

5teve

Hi Guys

i was a late adopter of vista 64bit home premium having bought it for a new machine i built a couple of months back. I got the free upgrade to Win7 with that version of vista of which i recieved in the post the other day. the version says for windows 7 upgrade option program.

Now i was under the impression that with the win7 media i got through the post that i could do a full clean install on my system and not have to upgrade vista. i have never done an upgrade and dont intend to start now. i like clean installs and i have never had a problem.

So the question is... can i do a clean install or do i only have the option of upgrading vista? i have the original vista dvd as that is a legal copy, why cant it just check the key on that one?

i have read so much about it now im confused!

Thanks

Steve

When you get to the install window, you will see Upgrade and Custom. You will want to do the Custom(clean) install. If you want, on the partitions page lower right there is a disk options button you can use to format or change the drives but I don't think that is necessary. You will have a Windows.old folder on your new install with data from the previous if you do not format the drive first.

There has been quite a bit of confusion about this install, but you should probably run the update version from the current OS, which will take your to the install screen. It appears that is where it gathers information about your Previous OS it needs. There are still some things I have not pinned down in my mind, but I think you should be fine.

I had vista home premium 32bit and did a custom install of 7 home premium 32bit. I deleted both partitions and formated. 7 made the recovery partition. During install I did not enter my key when it asked, I was not hooked up to the internet for it to download update.

Installed fine, I had my updated drivers on a usb drive that plugged in after install was all done. Updated my drivers, installed my anti-virus then went online and updated the anti-virus, updated windows and then activated with no problem what so ever.

I don't know if it would've still worked if I did 32 bit to 64 bit as my vista was 32 bit and I didn't want to take the chance of being flagged for an unsupported upgrade.

Thanks KBZ thats what i needed

I never install an operating systm without formatting, so thats what i will carry on doing. i like clean! its likely i'll add new hard disks anyway as the ones im running vista on are a bit slow. All my data is on an 8 disk hardware raid array anyway!

I am running a supported upgrade anyway as its one that microsoft themselves sent me due to being a late vista adopter.

Just need to wait for the disks to come into stock then a bit of time to magically appear and i'll install it.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Guys

i was a late adopter of vista 64bit home premium having bought it for a new machine i built a couple of months back. I got the free upgrade to Win7 with that version of vista of which i recieved in the post the other day. the version says for windows 7 upgrade option program.

Now i was under the impression that with the win7 media i got through the post that i could do a full clean install on my system and not have to upgrade vista. i have never done an upgrade and dont intend to start now. i like clean installs and i have never had a problem.

So the question is... can i do a clean install or do i only have the option of upgrading vista? i have the original vista dvd as that is a legal copy, why cant it just check the key on that one?

i have read so much about it now im confused!

Thanks

Steve

Steve,
You can perform a “customâ€Â￾ install as one of the other forum members previously specified however you will still need to have Windows Vista pre-installed on your hard drive in order for your upgrade key to properly activate. A “customâ€Â￾ install is still a clean install to an extent -- your files and information will be copied over to a “windows.oldâ€Â￾ folder but the framework and operating system themselves will be clean and Vista free.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK
Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

You see thats what i DO NOT want at all. I have everything organised in such a way that other than apps i DO NOT need the install to mess with my files i just point the new install to the file locations on the hardware raid array. Why cant it be like previously when the original disk was required or some simpler way of authenticating it.

All i want to do is do a fresh install using the disk that microsoft sent me (so they know i have a genuine vista version) and be able to remove the partition / use a new hard disk. i refuse to do it any other way (called me stubborn) so that means i'll probably have to do one of the questionably legal hacks to be able to do this... even though i have a fully legitimate licence (its not like i bought an upgrade license for a new install)

one day things will be made simpler.....

Thanks

Steve

Steve,
You can perform a “customâ€Â￾ install as one of the other forum members previously specified however you will still need to have Windows Vista pre-installed on your hard drive in order for your upgrade key to properly activate. A “customâ€Â￾ install is still a clean install to an extent -- your files and information will be copied over to a “windows.oldâ€Â￾ folder but the framework and operating system themselves will be clean and Vista free.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK
Jessica
I had vista installed and deleted the partitions, the stupid hp restore partition and the c: partition vista was on. created the new partition, formated and installed. I do not have a window.old folder unless it's hidden from me.

I had vista installed and deleted the partitions, the stupid hp restore partition and the c: partition vista was on. created the new partition, formated and installed. I do not have a window.old folder unless it's hidden from me.

Kbz1960,

Windows 7 upgrade will install just fine as a clean install -- yes. You will not however be able to activate the upgrade product key on a clean install as it will look for code from a previous installation to verify upgrade elligability.

Again, for more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK

Jessica

Thanks KBZ will give it a try... i have to wait for the 2 new disks to arrive in stock before i can do anything and relagate the old 2 to a backup image drive.

The more i read from Jessica... the more she keeps pushing full versions etc to people..

The way i see it... if i have a valid old system (vista or xp) then i buy an upgrade (or in my case microsoft very kindly gave it to me) then i should be able to install it just fine and be legal whether i took the upgrade or clean install route. i should also be allowed to use 32 bit or 64 regardless as long as its on the same machine. if i update to 64 bit i dont expect to be told as i have activated it once i need to buy a full version... (another thread she said this)

it seems there is too much info that is incorrect floating about on the Net. I'd rather beleive someone that has tried and it works..

Time for me to play soon... i'll let you know how it goes!

Steve

Please do Steve! With all of the misinformation out there I decided to not try the 64 bit since my vista was 32 bit even though I have a 64 bit processor. I wish I would've waited to activate because now I probably can't install the 64 bit and activate since I all ready activated my key as 32 bit............................ bummer!

FYI Steve, I booted off of the dvd and still had vista installed. After booting from the dvd I ran custom install and deleted partitions from there and created, formated new ones. Then installed, wasn't hooked up to the internet, it tried to find updates and I got no error, I unchecked activate now (or whatever the box was) I didn't enter my key. After updating etc. then I did the activation.

Last edited:
Back