Windows 7 VLC RC1 1.0 released

loathe

All these years with VLC and they have finally released the release candidate for their media player. I didnt even know it was still in beta!

VLC RC1 1.0

If you've ever used VLC you've probably grown to love it for its out-of-the-box support for virtually any file type you can throw at it.With VLC 1.0, you can expect all of the same great functionality, plus some additional features including:
  • Instantaneous pausing
  • On-the-fly recording for all medias
  • Timeshift for most medias
  • New Blu-Ray Linear PCM decoder
  • Global Hotkeys on Windows and Linux
  • Controllable by the Media Keys on modern Apple keyboards (OS X only)
  • Several new and improved decoders, demuxers, encoders, and other codec-related goodies

Very nice! :) Good work loathe.. Plus rep..

I've been using VLC for years.. also had no idea it was still in Beta..

Well here it is 1.0 final. My player of preference.

Windows/Mac/Linux: VLC Media Player the open-source solution to media players that can't play your media files, reaches the 1.0 milestone today. What's new? Support for HD and other new formats, finer speed controls, customizable toolbars, AirTunes streaming, and much more.

Read On >>

Sweet! Installed last night.. VLC has also been my player of choice for a number years now.. It's never let me down.. :) It's nice to see software be as stable as VLC has been for the last 10 years considering it was only in BETA stages.. :) That kind of stability only comes around every so often.. ;)

Definitely my player of choice...

...but it does need to be tweaked to handle .mkv 1080p playback.

Well, the fact that the version number is less than 1.0 doesn't necessarily mean it's beta :)

In most all cases, a version number less than 1.0 indeed indicates a beta.

Why VLC was a beta release for so long a time is a mystery to me as it's rock solid and stable.

the RC is an indication of an upcoming final release, same as Windows 7 RC is.

In most all cases, a version number less than 1.0 indeed indicates a beta.

Why VLC was a beta release for so long a time is a mystery to me as it's rock solid and stable.

the RC is an indication of an upcoming final release, same as Windows 7 RC is.

In many cases it probably does. However, I think in the Open Source development the version numbering works a bit differently to the commercial development, especially because a much shorter development cycle - the releases come out a lot more often with less changes between them.

In case of VLC, I don't think versions below 1.0.0 were considered beta - all the intermediate versions like 0.5.1, 0.6.0, 0.8.6 were considered stable releases. See Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/ for complete list of VLC version - on an unrelated note I especially recommend reading changelog of version 0.8.1337, also see a screenshot :razz:

You may be right,

I was also thinking about that myself regarding the open source versions.

Anyway, just glad development is continuing.

Well, the fact that the version number is less than 1.0 doesn't necessarily mean it's beta :)

I'm not talking about the version number.. It was stated a few weeks ago (by the developers) that it was still in Beta.. ;) And now is in RC stages... ;)

Ok I tried it again and remembered the reason why I didn't like it. I have this Video in my computer that I like to watch occasionally. With WMP I can just open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file for it and it will play the whole thing straight through. VLC won't open the .ifo file at all. Instead I have to open all the individual .vob files and when it changes from file to file it displays the name of the file in the movie.

The reason it's in DVD format is because I sometimes burn a copy for friends.

I'll keep it though. It'll probably be great for .avi files and stuff like that. WMP12 seems to have the codecs to open .avi though. With previous versions I had to install codecs into my system to open .avi.

Maybe there's a way to get VLC to show it without showing the individual .vob file names.

Last edited:
I too use VLC and like it. Just 1 thing has upset me: when I close VLC after it played smth, quite often VLC doesn't close and hangs so I have to end its task. My current version is 0.9, is 1.0 any better in this respect ?

I'm using 1.0 and haven't had any problems at all.. Whether or not it's any better than build 0.9 I'm not sure as I never really paid much attention to it.. ;) It always just worked..

VLC Rocks

Whether they call it beta or booty, VLC is the class of the field. Been using it for a few years on everything I have. I usually download from download.com.

Back