Windows Vista W2003-64 raid-5 fails on Vista-64 Ultimate

Pombo

Friends,

I have a windows 2003 sever 64bit raid-5 volume that doesn't get healthy on Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

There are 3 Hds:

1) 50G System, 100G RAID-5
2) 100G RAID-5, 50G-DISTRIBUTED VOLUME
3) 100G RAID-5, 50G-DISTRIBUTED VOLUME

Everything was created on w2003, but it has crashed (bots, viruses, not any volume or HD) I don't know why, so I decided to put the Vista.

The other 2 volumes are Ok (system one was formated), but raid-5 doesn't get good. I have tried "repair" volume from diskpart but it returned "This command is not available in this version of windows".

Disk management does not recognize it. It tells me I have 3 dinamic disks online, no marks, no tags, raid-5 with the colour of raid-5 and marked with "fail" status.

Please help me.

Friends,

I have a windows 2003 sever 64bit raid-5 volume that doesn't get healthy on Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

There are 3 Hds:

1) 50G System, 100G RAID-5
2) 100G RAID-5, 50G-DISTRIBUTED VOLUME
3) 100G RAID-5, 50G-DISTRIBUTED VOLUME

Everything was created on w2003, but it has crashed (bots, viruses, not any volume or HD) I don't know why, so I decided to put the Vista.

The other 2 volumes are Ok (system one was formated), but raid-5 doesn't get good. I have tried "repair" volume from diskpart but it returned "This command is not available in this version of windows".

Disk management does not recognize it. It tells me I have 3 dinamic disks online, no marks, no tags, raid-5 with the colour of raid-5 and marked with "fail" status.

Please help me.

I haven't been able to find any documentation for this, so I played around and was able to bring the Windows Server 2003 RAID-5 volume online using the following process:

NOTE: You must have Vista Ultimate for RAID-5 support to work.

- Boot from your Vista DVD and select "Repair"
- After you select your Windows Vista install on the detection page, select "Command Prompt" from the "System Recovery Options" page.
- At the command prompt, run "diskpart".
- "list disk" - you should get a list of your disks, including all your RAID-5 members.
- Online your disks. "select disk x" where x is a RAID-5 member. Then, "online"
- "list volume" - you should get a list of volumes, and see your RAID-5 volume.
- "select volume x" where x=your RAID5 volume.
- "repair". (Note that ridiculous "not supported by your version of Windows" message isn't there.
- "list volume" - status should be "Rebuild", and there is a drive letter in the "Ltr" column for it.

- "exit" to quit diskpart.

Go to the drive letter and you should see your data. HOWEVER, as long as its "Rebuild"ing, you will have your original symptom of the volume being failed and not being able to repair it - except from CD as above.

Let it rebuild overnight.

just tested this with vista sp1, and it does not work...

The Microsoft Web page on Diskpart says that the command to setup a RAID-5 DO NOT WORK on Vista. Hence Vista DOES NOT SUPPORT Raid 5.

...Unless someone has a hack?

You may forget about Vista and RAID-5.

Abe.

Back
Top Bottom