Windows 8 W8-Surface Pro 2-USB 3.0

grasshopper

I am a bit of a newbie here. I just got Surface Pro 2 (this needs an acronym-SP2) and loaded Adobe PPro CC- works! Incredible! love it! now on holidays and thought I would try edit on the run home movies. Bought a Lacie Rugged USB 3.0 and a DLink 4x USB 3.0 hub to wrangle EOS and Sony AVCHD footage. Last night set it up for the first time and it was clocking 20mps+ - I was impressed. Tonight did all the same (as far as mild holiday inebriation might allow) and it is barely getting over 5 mps and moreover 20.00kb. What am I missing? SD reader is USB 2.0 but same as last night. Further, system is a bit hangy and lethargic.

Any thoughts welcome!

cheers

Hi Grasshopper,
have you made sure that it's updated? check yourself by opening the control panel and checking for updates

thanks for your thoughts, kemical, but after getting excited when I found an update relating to USB 2.0 and installing, there is no difference. The first time was great transfer speeds and if I am going Lacie USB 3 to SP2 (Surface) it can get over 100 mps but when the USB hub has both Lacie and USB 2 card reader (I am pulling data from SD card and putting it on Lacie) it drops to under 300kb. I am sure that I am doing it all the same as first time.

cheers

......if I transfer from SD (USB 2 card reader) through DLink USB 3 hub to Surface it clocks average 18mps.....

....so if I go straight into Surface from Lacie USB 3 I get 100 meg+ per sec, if I go SD card reader straight into surface then I get about 20 mps but if I use the hub to go from SD card reader to Lacie then it starts out for a second or 2 at about 20 mps the crashes down to an oscillation between 300kb and 5 mps.....
When I have slept I might try alternating which sockets on the hub I use to see if that makes an impact

cheers
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I was going to suggest that too... Changing USB ports that is.

Hi,
I don't think a different partition would help you in this instance although why your suddenly getting this huge speed drop off I'm unsure. Have you tried plugging the hub into different USB ports on the machine?

Surface only has 1 USB port. Thats why I got the DLink hub. The speeds off the Rugged drive and the USB 2 card rader are OK on their own just crippled when going through the hub.

My link for LaCie support I now realise needs a password - I could post jpg's of the exchange. It is quite amusing.

Just a thought... Was the Surface running on batteries when you first tried the hubs etc or connected to the mains? I'm just wondering if when on batteries it uses less power?

It was powered, so was the DLink hub. What has me perplexed is the fact that the first time I set it up it ran at 20mps through the hub - the speed of the USB 2 SD card reader.

I cant help suspecting that the tardiness of DLink response suggests that they are aware of something.

My idea of partitioning was more for organisation than speed. I am running Adobe Premiere Pro and they recommend separate drives. They dont really have policy on Surface though, most seem to think it wouldn't work but it is ok so far.
Photoshop strains the graphics resources though.

Hi Forum,

I have solved the problem (I think). It is a cable problem. Trouble is I dont know whose. I have asked DLink to specify the cable length they supply with the product. I have a short USB 3.0 and a long one - the long one is faulty. I am kind of perniciously hoping that it is LaCie's as they have been quite arrogant.
I will post when I know.

cheers

grasshopper

Good job! Thanks for updating your thread too, it always helps others to know of the outcome.

Well . . . when does it stop?
I have had to apologise to LaCie about the cable . . . dont know how I got to thinking it was the cable.
I set it all back up and even with just the LaCie Rugged through the hub it doesnt work. I asked LaCie to explain what they thought and I got this:

Hello Roen,

There is no need to return or pay for cable, simply keep it as spare.

Having reviewed your original fault we suspect a compatibility issues between Lacie Rugged unit and D-link hub is present. In most cases a chipset difference may be the culprit, as Lacie device appears to function correct when using directly with your Surface. Lacie unit utilizes Asmedia USB3.0 chipset. Our recommendation is to test useability using an alternative USB3.0 to see if issue persists.

I have responded, asking them why I seemed to have no trouble on the first use.

cheers

grasshopper

Back
Top Bottom