Windows 7 'Wait To kill Key'- Information Needed

Synoptic12

I'd like some information regarding the 'wait to kill key' in Windows 7. I believe that this key has been referred to as a corrupt Microsoft key. On the advice of HP, about a year ago, HP advised me to 'delete' the aforesaid key. However, in some forums, they say to modify this key.

Exactly, what is the specific function of this key. I saw no adverse effects of deleting this 'wait to kill' key. Now that I have performed a recovery, I'm seeking some technical information about this key. Can I delete this key?

Last edited by a moderator:
The key you are referring to is:
HEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Within that folder (on the right) you will find the string > WaitToKillServiceTimeout.

If you double click it and then in the > Edit String window, change the > Value data from the default of 12000 (12 seconds) to 2000 (2 seconds) you can speed up the Windows shut down process. (Click OK to save the change).

I have never heard of any reason to delete this key and would strongly advise against it. I HAVE heard of issues and problems with this key which have solutions but that's not what you posted about.

Thank you very much. I am well aware of the procedure to locate and modify this key. Irrespective of this, is there a key to speed up boot time?

Microsoft explains it the best: (I will answer your second question in the next post)

WaitToKillServiceTimeout Description :

Determines how long the system waits for services to stop after notifying the service that the system is shutting down. This entry is used only when the user issues a shut-down command by clicking the Shut Down button on the Windows 2000 Security dialog box or by selecting Shut down from the Shut Down Windows dialog box.

When the value of this entry expires, the system notifies the user that the service has not stopped. The user can either force the service task to stop or continue to wait. If the user waits, this value specifies the interval between repeated user notices that the service has not stopped.

If all services stop before this value expires, the system shuts down; it does not wait for this value to expire.

IC159172.gif
Note
Some services increase the value of this entry to provide more time for cleanup tasks.

WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Thank you very much for the clarity in addressing this key. In your personal opinion, is there any benefit of shutting down the system quicker, aside from other programs not closing? Your "note" would possibly indicate not to change the initial setting of 12,000. I may leave this key intact. Again, thank you for your assistance.

First, the note is not mine. I copied it from the Microsoft link I provided.

Regarding benefit of faster shutdown - absolutely not. The truth is, the longer - the better. It's best to let Windows take its time to shut down all processes correctly. Microsoft decided that 12 seconds is a good default so if you're not always in a hurry to shutdown the computer, leave it at default.

p.s. The only people that would want this are either impatient people or people like me, who fix lots of computers, which sometimes involves many many restarts and time is money so I need a faster shutdown.

Thank you very much. You have sufficiently addressed this question, and have definitely clarified any questions I may have pondered upon.

You are very welcome. Always feel free to ask anything. Well.... maybe not anything, but anything Windows 7 related. :)

Back