Windows Vista Want to install Windows 7 on second drive....How?

awaisuk

Want to install Windows 7 on second drive....How?

I am currently on Vista which is on C: drive, and I want to install Windows 7 on F: drive.

How can I do that?

Also how will I select which Windows I want to log on to?

Thanks.

Just boot up the DVD and run "Install". Select customised for your installation and you can then selcet any parttion/hard disk you wish.

Afetr installation, you will automatically have a boot manager with you two optional OS's. When you boot into Windows 7, it will show itself on C. No panic, it is a (now) normal function. Rebooting into Vista will show Vista on C:

Want to install Windows 7 on second drive....How?

I am currently on Vista which is on C: drive, and I want to install Windows 7 on F: drive.

How can I do that?

Also how will I select which Windows I want to log on to?

Thanks.

You'll never regret it if you simply unplug your Vista drive.. reboot then there will be no choice but for it to go on the second drive. I've done at least 6 or 8 installs, testing various setups and install methods and I'm pretty experienced but I STILL unplug my main drive so there is 0 chance of accidentally messin up the wrong drive and losing my data.

If you are "pretty experienced", I wonder why you would go on such a difficult route. I have found that the only experience needed to install Windows 7 is to be able to read and follow the instructions - carefully. Perhaps the op does not have the knowledge to unplug hard disks. (Having looked inside the cabinet and found out which one it is, of course)

Awaisuk. Have a look here and study the procedure.
Windows 7 Installation Guide / Tutorial - Windows 7

If you are "pretty experienced", I wonder why you would go on such a difficult route. I have found that the only experience needed to install Windows 7 is to be able to read and follow the instructions - carefully.

That's a fair question although it kind of implies that I'm less than "pretty experienced."

So, I'll explain. Your driver priority is set - FIRST - by the hardware order... THEN the bios menu allows that setting to be reassigned. This means that when you are normally running windows it appears as the C: drive... the first drive and D: is your backup drive. But it's not necessarily in that order..it may or may not be - it's just chance.

Someday when you have gained enough experience, or have learned the hard way, you'll notice that when you boot to dvd and load the install disk your drive options are not ALWAYS in the order you are familiar with. C: is no longer you OS D: is now your os drive... so go ahead and format or remove partitions on your D: drive and play roulette.

...or simply unplug your OS drive and eliminate any possiblity of error 100%

Everyone else can give me some rep points for bringing this to attention.

Back
Top Bottom