Windows 7 what do I do about failing hard disk?

tmeadows34

I just created a new rig with a Athlon black 2.8 cpu, gigabyte MoBo 4gb of corsair ram.
The hard disk I'm using is a Maxtor SATA. I believe it has the S.M.A.R.t tech built in.
win7 keeps giving me a message that the Hard disk is going to fail. I ran a disk checked and it seemed fine. it did have one bad cluster though. this is the first SATA drive I have ever owned so I really have bull knowledge of the paticualars.
Can any one point me to a way of fixing this. I'm not afraid to loose data because I just installed windows and have no personal files on the disk, but I would like to avoid having to buy a new harddrive.
:confused:

A relatively new drive with a bad cluster is not a good sign but can be caused by many things imminent drive failure is surely not written in stone. As stated above run the manufacturers testing app and if your not sure what your looking at post back and you will get a plethora of opinions on what these readings imply about your drives health.

SMART data is not a reliable way of figuring whether a drive is going to fail.
It gives good info such as the amount of bad sectors and clusters, etc, but a perfectly good drive could suffer hardware failure from one minute to the next without warning.

If check disk and other analyzing software says all is well, maybe just run with it, or have the drive replaced.
I'd just use it for storage. Chances are it'll last you for years yet.

Well I think I may be boned.
I bought this drive off ebay which was clearly a mistake.

I ran the diagnostic tester...
S.M.A.R.T test ... Fail
Short DST ... Fail
Long DST ... Fail
Short Generic test ... Pass
Long Generic test ... Fail

the the tool told me download and run seatools for doss which I ran and it failed that too and told me to contact the drive manufacturer as it is not a seagate drive. :(

This sucks!

seagate owns Maxtor

I know which confuses me more as to why seatools didn't offer a solution or fix
the help file even stated that if the drive fails or errors are found that it would give an option to fix or repair the drive.
but it didn't.

I just sent an email to the ebay seller to see if I can get a replacement drive.
Unfortunately his listing only gives me 7 days to request a return and I bought the drive on the 23rd
maybe he'll be nice enough to help me out.
fingers crossed.

well out of curiosity what do u think of this

like I said I'm working on a budget

Yea man. I give it a thumbs up. Hard drives are so cheap now.
I remember when I bought my Western Digital 120GB IDE drive for 125 bucks 3 years ago. Hah.

Just a little update the guy on ebay has offered to replace the drive if I ship the defective one back.
I gonna do that but also purchase the caviar drive at best buy I just feel safer with a NEW drive plus if anything goes wrong best buy is right down the street, plus 500gb is more space than I should ever need. when I get the replacement drive from ebay I may just resell it on ebay to recoup my loss.
good lesson to learn
funny because in this rig I bout everything brand new, Mobo, ram, cpu, pcu etc. the only thing I bought used was the HDD .

the drive best buy has on sale is a bit more expensive on newegg. I do love new egg though I've bought a ton of stuff there.

Back