Windows 7 What is shdserv.exe *32 (Shield COM Server Module) abd why is is hogging the CPU?

BaronTayler

When checking in Task Manager to see what's using the system resources, I keep seeing that the shdserv.exe is using between 45 and 50 percent of the CPU at all times. What the heck is this module, and is there any way to trim back it's use of the CPU?

Thanks.

FYI - Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, 2603 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Hi BaronTaylor and Welcome to The Forum.

Have you a program called "Rollback" installed? If so, this might help.
I took SUPPORT's suggestion and I stopped the 1-min defrag that's going on in the background. This is *NOT* stopping SHDSERV.EXE, it must run. It is applying a command line switch to the program shieldcmd.exe. You may use a COMMAND PROMPT window running as an ADMINISTRATOR, then go to wherever Rollback is installed (Program Files/Shield, I believe) and execute the following command...

shieldcmd.exe /disableOPT [u administrator p password]

If you installed Rollback without the user/password security feature, The items in BRACKETS above (incl. the brackets) are not needed.

This will stop your periodic CPU saturation. This /disableOPT switch will hold until you re-Baseline your system... and that point you'll have to re-execute the above command. I've done this and it solved the problem on my system that you're having.

WOW!!! Unbelievable. I just got 50% of my CPU capability back. Awesome!!!

Quick follow-up: Was this defragging/optimization function that I just turned off really necessary for anything? Is there any "down side" to turning it off? I'm sure it was put there for some reason....

Thanks for your help!

I'm sure it's in there for a reason! Whether it's a good or a bad reason......... :)

Back
Top Bottom