What makes Microsoft's SharePoint tick?

reghakr

Essential Member
For being the fastest growing server product at Microsoft, SharePoint is still largely misunderstood. There’s no question its one of Microsoft’s most important enterprise products, contributing more than $1 billion to the company’s coffers. Yet, as CEO Steve Ballmer himself acknowledged this week, SharePoint an “unsung hero.â€Â￾
In part, SharePoint is unsung because it’s a complex and ambitious product. It’s not just a content management system or an enterprise social-networking product, or an intranet search system. It’s six different servers bundled into a single back-end for Microsoft Office. There are Link Removed due to 404 Error contributing to the product. It has provided system integrators, consultants and other partners with a lot of business because it has been tricky to deploy, maintain and customize.
(As my ZDNet blogging colleague David Greenberg noted this week, it’s not the cost of SharePoint server and the associated client-access licenses that are the biggest ticket items. He noted that a new InfoTrends survey found the biggest SharePoint-related expenditures were servers and storage, deployment/assessment services, development/maintenance services, i/o hardware (e.g. scanners, MFPs), and additional software.)

More...........What makes Microsoft's SharePoint tick? | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

There's a very large demand for architects with Sharepoint design, integration, and development in the PA area. I find the most difficult phase of a Sharepoint integration is the development phase, after the deployment and migration phases.

Back