Windows 7 What the hell happened to cloud computing?

SunnyJim63

Whatever happened to Cloud computers from Google. I was just about to purchase one as I have seen the light so to speak.But, I can't find a laptop with a google OS...
Have Google given up on Cloud computing? I've seen the light.It's a system whereby you can combine all your thoughts in one place. Like putting your work to one side then going on with your hobbies , paying and keeping bills all in one place.Yeah I'm up for that but where's it gone?
2yrs ago we heard that there would be nothing else but cloud. What happened?

Not too sure about laptops with a google os but the cloud does exist..

When is MS supposed to open their cloud...
2yrs ago Google fanfared their new laptop with direct connection to the Cloud...

Ahh I see what you mean it's a storage device etc. But, I don't want storage I want true Cloud which means all I have to do is find computer and just log in to the mainframe and have all my Office, home and hobbies and bills all in one place. Then we can all get somewhere with it...

Thanks Kemical & Mike. This has led me to having to give Microsoft and Google a Business Proposal. I hope in 5 years time most people will be using cloud instead of using an outdated OS & the like.

SunnyJim63,

Kemical is correct – Microsoft does have SkyDrive for documents and storage and Windows Azure as a cloud platform that enables the build of applications. However, you might also be interested in Microsoft’s Windows Intune Cloud service which is designed to offer the unique opportunity for computers and users to operate at peak performance, from virtually anywhere.

I realize this is slightly different from the kind of product you were originally looking for, however it does bear some resemblance. For example, if you are an IT admin managing end users you can log in, remotely, to their machine from anywhere bypassing the need for a VPN connection or domain access.

In addition to remote assistance through easy access as mentioned above, as the IT administrator you can remotely push updates to both local and remote users, secure PCs through the bundled endpoint protection, manage software distribution, and find yourself eligible for Windows upgrade rights. Mobile device management will even be included in the next release of Windows Intune.

More detailed information about Windows Intune and its features it offers, including remote assistance, can be found here.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
The Springboard Series for Intune on TechNet

Back