Windows 7 What to do if no DVD drive?

Winrar will also extract ISO files. As far as I know the only way to get it is downloading it. So... you can't do it without an internet connection.

narfboy93 said:
How do we install it on a computer that doesnt have a DVD drive?
I used the following tutorial to make a bootable 4gb usb thumbdrive and copied all files from the windows 7 beta *.iso file.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I have not tried it, but maybe this can be done also on an sd card. It's your choice depending on what peripherals you have in your system. You can try and good luck.:)

Thanks, but I know have all files uncompressed on my desktop. I have 1 more problem. I says I need 512MB of RAM, I have 100-150 of Ram. Any way to bypass the RAM check? If not, what is the cheapest I can get a 512 card for?

If you have less than 512 of RAM your computer will not even run 7.
List your specs and we'll see if you're boned or not.

Can we go a little more in depth on the specs? What type of processor, what type of ram, what type of board stuff like that?

Hey now, calm down boys.
I have to tell you though narf, there's no way you're going to be able to run windows 7 with 128 MB of RAM.

I didn't have an internet connection until I went to my motherboard dvd and installed the lan drivers. Then update updated them after my internet started working

is there a problem with me wanting to learn shit? No

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to learn. But the questions you are asking are beginner's questions and running a beta OS is not for the faint of heart or beginners.

It sounds like you are wanting to put Win7 on your primary system and that is going to cause you nothing but trouble. You will have issues, this is a BETA release, and you are in danger of loosing everything you have stored/saved on your system. Plus if you only have 128 megs of RAM you are not going to be able to run Win7.

Here is what Microsoft says on the Beta download page:

New to beta testing? Here's what you need to know:
  • You'll need some technical skills, like knowing how to:
    • Burn an ISO file to make an install DVD (A good example of what we mean by “technicalâ€Â￾)
    • Install Windows (of course)
    • Backup and restore your PC (There's a chance of losing files, so it's a good idea to do a backup of anything you want to save.)
    • Set up a network
    It can be glitchyâ€â€￾so don't use a PC you need every day.
  • Minimum recommended specs call for:
    • 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
    • 1 GB of system memory
    • 16 GB of available disk space
    • Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)
    • DVD-R/W Drive
    • Internet access (to download the Beta and get updates)
Can you answer the first group of questions and does your system meet the minimum specs?

Back