Windows 7 what would be the best graphics card for my machine?

d@z

hi im currently running windows 7 on a dell dimension 1100 with a Celeron 3.06GHz CPU and 512mb ram soon to be 2GB and need a better graphics card as my current one is a Readon 9200 series and does not support vista or windows 7 as its a old enough card and they never made drivers for it, only problem is i only have pci slots and am not to sure about what one would be the best to get full effects from aero and to be able watch movies in full hd when i get my 24" monitor at the end of the month, my price range is 50-100 euro if any one can help

regards

d@z

If you'll give us a list of sites you will buy from, or the sites that have stores close to you, we'll better be able to help you.
Also, we need to know what kind of graphics slot you have, whether it's PCI, AGP, or PCI-e.

To check this, use the following program:
GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

Download, and install that, and give us the slot name, located under "Bus Interface".

hi im currently running windows 7 on a dell dimension 1100 with a Celeron 3.06GHz CPU and 512mb ram soon to be 2GB and need a better graphics card as my current one is a Readon 9200 series and does not support vista or windows 7 as its a old enough card and they never made drivers for it, only problem is i only have pci slots and am not to sure about what one would be the best to get full effects from aero and to be able watch movies in full hd when i get my 24\" monitor at the end of the month, my price range is 50-100 euro if any one can help

regards

d@z

Link Removed due to 404 Error <<< SPECS ON DELL

From the look of that you'd be better off replacing the motherboard and buying a reasonably priced card such as Nvidia 9600 PCIE, should be able to do that for under £100 just, as PCI is obsolete considering even AGP cards are like gold dust these days. Make sure you get a motherboard that supports both your current cpu and ram as their slots have also changed over the years, although to be honest I'd can the lot and get a bundle pack with cpu, ram, video and mobo that will bring it up to date better as you can get cheap but fast parts these days fairly cheap.

Last edited:
If you'll give us a list of sites you will buy from, or the sites that have stores close to you, we'll better be able to help you.
Also, we need to know what kind of graphics slot you have, whether it's PCI, AGP, or PCI-e.

To check this, use the following program:
GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

Download, and install that, and give us the slot name, located under \"Bus Interface\".

i done a scrren shot of all the info for you :D

Link Removed due to 404 Error

and any shop wuill do really once they have worldwide postage, kinda want to get the cheapest possible as i only really want to use the computer for music and movies

Documentation <<< SPECS ON DELL

From the look of that you'd be better off replacing the motherboard and buying a reasonably priced card such as Nvidia 9600 PCIE, should be able to do that for under £100 just, as PCI is obsolete considering even AGP cards are like gold dust these days. Make sure you get a motherboard that supports both your current cpu and ram as their slots have also changed over the years, although to be honest I'd can the lot and get a bundle pack with cpu, ram, video and mobo that will bring it up to date better as you can get cheap but fast parts these days fairly cheap.

yeah im planning on scrapping this one in about 5-6 months gonna start from scratch and build one, will have around a 6-800euro budget for it so im hoping i can do well with that, then ill probly move the one i have now into the living room and just use it for music

Last edited:
I know everyone has a budget and all. And don't take this the wrong way.

But, save your money and wait. Get a better system. The Celeron is,, well a celeron.
You will be infact wasting money on trying to upgrade what you have now.

You can do a lower end C2Duo, Mobo, RAM, Video card for a pretty decent price and a VERY significant speed upgrade over what you have now. Parting up to upgrade only a couple items on that system, with todays tech that is available for a bit more is truly a waste of money for what you have.

Wait and save and you will be much happier.

To help a bit more,,, I would use the money on that 24" monitor and get that later when Large LCD's should start dropping more as the new 240Mhz LCD hit the market.

Processors that will smoke the Celly you have - €117.98 inc vat

Motherboard I would recommend Intel DG45ID ,, you might find a cheaper board.. if you want
Found here - for €109.48 inc vat

Also,, the video on this board is pretty decent. You might want to check it out before even buying a video card to see if it can handle what you want to do with it. Could save you some money.

Memory - €51.12 inc vat (Kingston memory will work just fine, you don't need expensive ram)

Sata HDD - €51.89 inc vat

DVD-Writer - €24

For €354.47 you could have a much better system than what you will have once you are done upgrading what you have.

The only other things that you might need are a case and Power Supply.
But in the long run, this system will smoke what you have now.

****EDIT****
In response to the post below. I have the 8600GTS also and agree it is a good card for the price.
But the Onboard video of the board I posted will possibly suffice for most things, including HD/BD content.
Unless you are gaming, then get a real video card and I would suggest the lowest end card be the 8600GTS.

Last edited:
What Kind of Video card?

It looks like there may have been a sufficiency of answers, but for the record I've got an Nvidia 8600GTS which works perfectly. They have posted update drivers sseveral times with the last being today. The listed date is 6/18/09 and the driver # is 186.18 WHQL. I just installed it and things still look to be right, so that might not be a bad try. it's a good card and the price is reasonable. Good Luck. My system has a 6400 dual core running at 2.13 and is backed by 4GB RAM - currently on RC.

thanks for your answers, but no i dont wanna wait, as i use this computer everyday and at the min i cant watch any videos as they are very jumpy due to the card i have, so 50 euro to get it working untill christmas sounds like a good idea, + then i can hand down the computer to my younger cousin once im finished with it (minus the monitor)

am goin a little mental at christmas tho abnd building one that i wont need to upgrade for quite some time, specs below

bundle for around £530

*OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3
Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir CPU Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

*OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz / Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard / Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3 Bundle + World in Conflict Game

should defo keep me happy :D

then yes, I would do what you are doing, and I would recommend the 8600GTS. It is a very good all around card.

thanks for your answers, but no i dont wanna wait, as i use this computer everyday and at the min i cant watch any videos as they are very jumpy due to the card i have, so 50 euro to get it working untill christmas sounds like a good idea, + then i can hand down the computer to my younger cousin once im finished with it (minus the monitor)

am goin a little mental at christmas tho abnd building one that i wont need to upgrade for quite some time, specs below

bundle for around £530

*OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3
Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir CPU Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

*OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz / Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard / Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3 Bundle + World in Conflict Game

should defo keep me happy

Sweet, that'll be a good rig for a while for sure! :) Good luck with the build.. I'd recommend going with an nVidia Geforce GTX 260 (Core 216).. This card is extremely well priced and delivers top notch performance at the highest of resolutions.. :) I say this because if your going to have all that wicked hardware it's nice to have a GPU that can murder anything you can throw at it for months to come.. ;) But really it all comes back to how much you game and or convert video.. If all you do is watch movies and such than yeah the Geforce 8600GTS is definitely a fine card...

Yeah,,, I should have clarified that the 8600GTS is for the old system.
GTX 260 or maybe newer for the new system,, I have not researched new video cards in a while.
I will want one too bad if I do that. So I stay ignorant on that.

PCI-E is better than PCI, PCI is old tech.
If your board is PCI only, then you can not use PCI-E
I must have read over that part. Sorry.

From that site, the 8400GS will be your best bet.

sweet, thanks for the replys, looks like ill be getting that one so, ill let yas know how it goes

thanks again :D

Back