Windows 7 Which version did you install? 32 or 64

It's because--

I've tried both and it seems as though the 32 bit runs faster than the 64, and my processor is compatible with 64 bit, Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2ghz, and 2 GB of RAM. I don't know why the 32 bit ran faster than the 64.

Also, is it possible for me to partition my hard drive and install the 32bit to one partition and the 64bit to the other?

That you are only using 2Gb's,you would notice with the more ram you fed it.
Can not see why not as you have used both on your drive with no issues,as each OS will see each clean drive as separate.
And whether their is an issue with boot order,as in earlier version first I do not no?

Currently I am just running the x32 version, but once I have learned enough about the operation's and configurations I will install the x64 version on my big box.

I am not sure about these comments about the speed differences between the 32 bit and 64 bit modes, I have run benchmark tests as well as Applications in both modes on WinXPP and found that the 64 bit WinXP Pro runs from 12 to 20% faster. The Biggest reason for me is that I am a Design Engineer, using Advanced CAD and a number of CST type software and many Math programs. Running these types of programs at the same time require a lot of resources, If any of you use Graphics programming you know what I mean.

I bought a x64 processor 2 and a half years ago so it has been 64 installations ever since. First Vista and now W7.

"Congregation, please be seated and open your prayer books to the book of revelations - psalm 64..."

I installed the 32bit and liked it and decided to try the 64bit. A nightmare. It took twenty minutes to boot after I downloaded AVG Free and drivers for my mouse and keyboard and wouldn't run. I tried to reinstalled and my computer wouldn't boot from the CD drive. I unplugged the hard drives, booted from the CD, plugged in a hard drive--the wrong one--and reinstalled Windows 7 32bit. It'll be a long time before I do 64bit again.

I remember when we went from 16bit to 32bit. There was no take your pick. I lost the use of one of my favorite programs, XyWrite, but that was just the way it was. I'll wait until hardware and software vendors commit to 64bit.

I have the 32 bit version.

I have 4 gigs of memory installed, and W7 is recognizing 3325 mb of it. That's good enough for my needs.

I'm hearing reports that Adobe Audition 3 doesn't work with the 64 bit version, and that's one of my main programs. So I'll be sticking with the 32 bit version for now.

32 bit

I went with the 32 bit for less driver issues and more stability. This is a home comp that is used for games, movies, research. I do not think that 64 bit is completely ready at the moment. When most of the games, office suites, and browsers, flash, etc are 64 bit, then I will jump on the bandwagon.

On the 3rd of April, I decided to intall build 7068 64 bit and everything is running smooth. The only problem is running flash apps in "Minefield" which is the 64 bit version of Firefox. No problems with video, sound, or networking.

I haven't had any stability issues with x64. In fact, Win7 x64 has been far more stable for me than Vista x86 after it had been out for a few months.

Update, I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version on a new hard drive. So now I have both 32 and 64 bit programs available. I wanted to test out both versions, as this is a trial period.

So far to only major difference seems to be I'm using all of my 4 gig ram memory, instead of the 3.25 limit on 32 bit versions.

64 is running sweet, but then again so was 32.

My important software programs are working fine with both versions.

:)

On a Laptop with up to 4GB of RAM I'd advise installing the 32 Bit version -- at least for now.
Testing the 64 bit version is fine - but for everyday use --

1) Some old programs won't install -- it's not of the 32 Bit software per se but I'll bet some of you guys never guessed that sometimes the INSTALL program for some hardware / software still has odd bits of 16-bit code in it. This still works in the 32 bit OS but won't in the 64 bit OS.

2) Some XP drivers still run fine on the 32 bit OS. No way on the 64 bit OS.

3) The 64 Bit OS requires ALL kernel mod drivers to be 64 Bit -- older legacy hardware might NEVER be updated so until you've got rid of the old hardware / updated it then your stuff won't run on the 64 bit version.

4) It's not always "a given" that the 64 bit OS will work faster until you have specific 64 Bit applications -- Photoshop CS4 is one of the first apps that can genuinely use a 64 bit OS --but it still has some 32 bit pieces. Until such mainstream applications like Office all run namtively on 64 bit OS'es there really is not much point in "Buying yourself trouble".

5) If you are also going to get a Netbook there's a lot to be said for running the same application on the Netbook as the main computer. Most Netbooks (AFAIK) are fitted with 32 Bit CPU's -- Currently only the ATOM 230 and 330 models can run IA64 instruction set. Most Netbooks have the N and Z series ATOM Cpu's which are 32 bit models.

Note that my advice here is for people with 4GB or less.

For > 4GB then I'd go for the x-64 GB version and use a Virtual Machine to run legacy hardware. Also if you have something like a Quad processor it makes sense to use the X-64 bit version even with 4GB of RAM since the larger CPU Cache and the extra instruction width make instruction access quicker on the 64 Bit version than the 32 bit version -- in theory on a QUAD 64 bit processor you could process 2X as many instructions as with a Duo 64 bit processor in the same "Instruction Fetch" to say nothing of actually decoding and processing the instruction quicker than with the duo processor.

Ideally if you are using a Quad processor you should be looking at a minimum of 8GB RAM and a 64 bit OS.

(For more info have a look at Operating Systems -- instruction fetch, decoding and execution -- this stuff gets a bit technical but there's plenty of good references all over the Net).

Cheers
jimbo

I have 7022 32 bit on my laptop, and 7000 x64 here on my desktop. Had to install x64 on here, so my 8GBs of RAM wouldn't just sit there. My laptop is x64 too, but I wanted to play around with 7022, so I stuck it on there.

64 bit it's time, I have felt sorry for all my hardware being 64 bit ready, and never taking advantage of that.

So far I have had no major issues.

That's pretty much the same reasoning I had.
I have 32 bit XP Pro on the other partition.
Surprisingly this seems to run much smoother than I expected.

Running x64 sweet as a toffee apple. I have got x 32 as well but all my attention is on the x64. It runs all my apps and games superbly and considering its still a beta i find it quite amazing, Windows 7 x64 rocks.

Running x64 sweet as a toffee apple. I have got x 32 as well but all my attention is on the x64. It runs all my apps and games superbly and considering its still a beta i find it quite amazing, Windows 7 x64 rocks.

If you have the hardware x64 is the way to go

God am I in for torture 64 bit ya right!

Ok Just for fun I thought I would try the 64 bit one for my machine I am going to assume that seeing that It has taken, no joke guys.. 3 hours now to install and is moving at a rate of snail it takes to cross the highway I think I made a big mistake here.
As I write it is still installing I have 2 gigs of mem, ya I know "DAH" but this is a test..I know better. So a warning if you have 2 gigs of ram screw the 64 bit. I just gave up it is stuck or something so I am now going to install the 32 bit. 3 hours or more give me a break. Should I try it on my lap top hehehehe:rolleyes:

I'm an exclusive 64-bit user. All of my PCs are at or beyond the 4GB limit, and any manufacturer who isn't writing and releasing 64-bit drivers today is selling defective products, in my opinion.

I'm an exclusive 64-bit user. All of my PCs are at or beyond the 4GB limit, and any manufacturer who isn't writing and releasing 64-bit drivers today is selling defective products, in my opinion.

Welcome to Windows7forums.com :)

I have to agree with you on the 64bit thing.. ;) We're at a crossroads of sort with 32bit and 64bit and I for one think developers need to start getting behind the general public when we say "Make Windows a 64bit only OS".. I do think Windows 8 will be 64bit only but I also think they should have taken it a step further and made Windows 7 a 64bit only OS as well (except for the Starter Edition, they could have made that available in both flavors I suppose.. ). It will happen but it's definitely taking alot longer then it should.. :)

Welcome to Windows7forums.com :)

I have to agree with you on the 64bit thing.. ;) We're at a crossroads of sort with 32bit and 64bit and I for one think developers need to start getting behind the general public when we say "Make Windows a 64bit only OS".. I do think Windows 8 will be 64bit only but I also think they should have taken it a step further and made Windows 7 a 64bit only OS as well (except for the Starter Edition, they could have made that available in both flavors I suppose.. ). It will happen but it's definitely taking alot longer then it should.. :)
Ya it has been out for a while how and I am surprised it it's not the main one by now. I have to upgrade my memory before I can use it to it's advantage. Ya I agree the manufactures should have caught up by now!

Update for 64bit

Back in January I installed 64bit and it was a nightmare. I won't bore you with details but it turned out I had either a defective motherboard or processor. It worked fine for months with 32bit but 64bit used some parts that were defective. I went back to 32bit and two weeks later my computer died. Intel sent me a new motherboard and processor and I installed it. I ran 32bit for a couple of weeks and tried 64bit again.

I had to find some drivers but it wasn't bad. One program wouldn't run, a very old Spanish/English dictionary from Microsoft.

I downloaded the Windows7 RC1 64bit and installed it today. All of my Intel drivers installed automatically. The only driver problem I had was with my HP printer and it's a problem in 32bit. Getting Lightroom2 to install was a hassle until I figured out the problem.

I was happy with beta 64bit and I like RC1 64bit. Unless something happens between now and the end of the year, I'll be buying the 64bit version of Windows7.

Back