Who remembers Boiling Point: Road to Hell.

Grub

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Remember this? Some of you just said "Yes! Riddled with bugs and glitches, but it had a lot of potential". This is true. Boiling Point was an RPG/FPS. You play Saul Myers, a veteran of the French Foreign Legion, who has just found out his journalist daughter has been kidnapped in a fictitious South American setting.

Head here for a full description.

The thing I liked about this game was the blend of RPG and FPS and the fact that it was a 25x25km (625 km2) map which wasn't split into sections, no loading screens. It took on the RPG element well in that most actions would effect outcomes. As you are looking for your daughter, you need to talk to all the locals to obtain information. This may be through force, being overly nice or buying a round or three in the local bar, ending up inebriated and having to sleep it off in your car.

boiling-point-01-m.jpg

Faction wars between the Military, Guerrillas, Bandits and Adrenalin runners are taking place also and your actions will eventually effect your relationship with them. Weapons were interesting. They could range from well maintained to rusted. This was the same for ammo. If you opted for the cheaper or slightly wet ammo you were about to find out the difference. Bullets would miss fire and guns would jam.

Sounds like Far Cry 2 I hear you say? Well in my opinion, it was everything Far Cry 2 (a brilliant game) could've been. The RPG element added objects and thus inventory's for the player and vehicles. This made planning trips through faction controlled roads vital.

Unfortunately the game was, as said earlier, riddled with bugs, which is such a shame as it was, for its time, ahead of its time :tongue:. Even when patched it was very hard to fly a plane.

So, the other day while discussing this game with my brother in law we pondered. Is there a sequel or anything else by these guys?

The answer was yes. They did a space RPG called Precursors, which was apparently 'off the hook'. And a sequel to Boiling Point White Gold: War in Paradise or Xenus II: Белое золото. From what i can gather, it was released in Russia but an English version never came about due to not being able to find a publisher :frown:. But, this game looks fantastic. Funnily enough it looks like the original Far Cry islands.

Has anyone on this forum played it? or managed to get a copy and apply the English translation patch?

Anyone remember the joys of Boiling Point?

The english patch is here:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I remember Xenus, read reviews and watched videos. Never played it though. Must be a good game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, now if could just get a copy...

So i've had a look at purchasing options.

Ebay have (russian) copies of both. According to the Deep Shadows forums these aren't legit. They look real but their not.

YuPlay.ru have Precursors and White Gold for under $10-, if you've got the time lol!

heres a clip of Precursors, looks unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this thread because I was having (still am) issues installing Boiling Point on Windows 7. Anyway, you can buy the game (digital download) off Atari's website for 9.99+tax. BE warned that their digital download service provider isn't the best in the business and once you buy, it takes anywhere between 6-7 hours to get your download link in your email. Now back to getting this bloody game to install on Windows 7.

Edit: Got it to work by extracting the self-extracting executable using WinRar and then opening the application executable directly.
and here's the link for the game: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Kinda freaky the timing of this thread and my purchase of the game out of the blue (8 hours ago).

Last edited:
Wow, well persist with it as much as you can, patience is the key here. Also its virtually unplayable without the patch, 2.0 i thinks. Have fun.

As for BP Xenus patch:

softpedia said:
Using this update you will be able to change the official Russian language to English!

It is ~50 Mbs, so does it really change the sound dialogues you here to english, or does it only display english text?

As for Precursors you get with the BP, it's cool but in Spanish. Another patch to look for?

I'm not sure what you mean? Russian release was called Xenus, but BP: Road to hell had a western publisher and is therefore in english. Sorry if i'm off track here cybercore:eek:

This patch will sort out heaps and will make it palyable.

Grub said:
I'm not sure what you mean?

All I mean is this, you said:

Grub said:
Boiling Point White Gold: War in Paradise or Xenus II: Белое золото. From what i can gather, it was released in Russia but an English version never came about due to not being able to find a publisher :frown:. But, this game looks fantastic. Funnily enough it looks like the original Far Cry islands.

Has anyone on this forum played it? or managed to get a copy and apply the English translation patch?

Yes, there is a patch at softpedia, here:

Just wonder if 50 Mb of that patch give you the full sound track in English, or English text and game menus only.

Yea I used to have that game although I'd hardly waste time on it now, to be fair it was fairly dull and forgettable due to the bugs and mine was indeed a fully english audio dialogue not just text(Don't recall ever needing to patch english into it) although the game has since went to the thrift bin years ago. The only reason I remember buying it was because of Arnold Vosolo (The Mummy series) playing the main character, kinda reminded me more of Just Cause than Farcry, sadly with the hideous gameplay of Jurassic Parks Trespasser game.

Last edited:
Just wonder if 50 Mb of that patch give you the full sound track in English, or English text and game menus only.

Hmm, i heard it does but the translation is a little dodgy. Apparently it adds to the atmosphere lol.

Back