Windows 7 Why is this!!??

computernerdsahoy

Hello,

I downloaded the Windows 7 RC this morning but I think I might have a problem.. I want to know why is it that when I double click on the .rar file (Windows 7 RC) containing the ISO there's nothing but a README file in it? I'm trying to load it onto a USB flash drive but I can't extract the contents as there aren't any contents in it to extract.. Well it looks like there aren't at least.. I burned it to a DVD and it does work fine but I'm really curious as to why the hell there's nothing more than a README file in the .RAR downloaded file!?!?!?!!?

Thanks in advance for your time.. :)

Where did you download it from?? Mine came down as a straight ISO file which you use a program such as ImgBurn to burn onto a DVD. If you wish to extract these the files stored in the ISO image you can download a utility called Undisker (Undisker Can Open, Create, and Extract ISO Files) to extract these files onto your flash drive.

Yes,

It should not be a leaked build when the official RC is available from Microsoft.

I'd delete that file, in case of viruses and download the correct one.

Yes,

It should not be a leaked build when the official RC is available from Microsoft.

I'd delete that file, in case of viruses and download the correct one.

Yes it should not be a rar file but an img . Think you have somehow downloaded a dodgy file ie : rar . Get the official download its free :D

By image you mean .iso right?

I downloaded the ISO from MSFT site and upgraded from Vista.

Hello,

I downloaded the Windows 7 RC this morning but I think I might have a problem.. I want to know why is it that when I double click on the .rar file (Windows 7 RC) containing the ISO there's nothing but a README file in it? I'm trying to load it onto a USB flash drive but I can't extract the contents as there aren't any contents in it to extract.. Well it looks like there aren't at least.. I burned it to a DVD and it does work fine but I'm really curious as to why the hell there's nothing more than a README file in the .RAR downloaded file!?!?!?!!?

Thanks in advance for your time.. :)

Mine were also both .RAR files after I downloaded them (I used my sh!ttiest comp to DL them and it didn't have an ISO app on it prior to DL'ing..) and before everyone jumps in, YES I did download them from Microsoft and that's what they came down as.. They both work flawlessly as they should ;) but they did come down in .RAR format.. Nero sees them as ISO's as does IMGBURN so you don't have to worry, the files are all there and will work as they are supposed to, it's just odd that they are like that.. ;)

The reason they came down like that is most likely because you didn't have an ISO app (such as IMGBURN) installed prior to downloading them. If you install something like IMGBURN I'm willing to bet that they will switch from .RAR to ISO format.. :) WinRAR will read ISO files so if you don't have something else installed that reads them then it will automatically put them in .RAR format. Which is why you weren't "seeing" any files when you opened it...

I should also mention this applies to XP....

Radenight,

I had no clue they were downloaded in RAR format.

the only time I saw RAR formats were on places like Rapidshare, which I'm sure you know these were the leaked builds.

Mine were also both .RAR files after I downloaded them (I used my sh!ttiest comp to DL them and it didn't have an ISO app on it prior to DL'ing..) and before everyone jumps in, YES I did download them from Microsoft and that's what they came down as.. They both work flawlessly as they should but they did come down in .RAR format.. Nero sees them as ISO's as does IMGBURN so you don't have to worry, the files are all there and will work as they are supposed to, it's just odd that they are like that..

The reason they came down like that is most likely because you didn't have an ISO app (such as IMGBURN) installed prior to downloading them. If you install something like IMGBURN I'm willing to bet that they will switch from .RAR to ISO format.. WinRAR will read ISO files so if you don't have something else installed that reads them then it will automatically put them in .RAR format. Which is why you weren't "seeing" any files when you opened it...

You were right Radenight!! I checked with some friends and they also had the same deal and after installing IMGBURN the file switched from .RAR to ISO format and they could then open them and see all the files - NOT JUST THE README!!!! Just like you said!! :):):) Plus Rep!!!! :) Thanks very much everyone!!

Radenight,

I had no clue they were downloaded in RAR format.

the only time I saw RAR formats were on places like Rapidshare, which I'm sure you know these were the leaked builds.

Yeah, it's stupid really, just because it leads to confusion for some.. I'm pretty sure it's an XP only thing though.. ;)

Just because it has a Winrar or Winzip Icon doesn't mean it a rar or zip file. The icon displayed is dependent on what program the file is associated with. After installing Winzip my ISO files all had Winzip icons, and if you double clicked one Winzip launched. After installing Ultra ISO all the icons for ISO files changed to a Ultra ISO Icon and that program would launch if you double clicked it. The file extension never changed, only the icon changed. If you have known file extensions hidden you may well think its a zip file just because of the icon. Its an easy mistake to make. Thats why virus writers name files like myphoto.bmp.exe. All you see is myphoto.bmp if file extensions are hidden.;)

Back
Top Bottom