Windows 10 WIFI not as fast as it should be.

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
We just switched to AT&T Fiber Optic internet. We opted for the 1,000 Mbps package since we have several 5g capable devices. In general I get good transfer speeds but the WIFI seems a little slow.

Since I have the fast Ethernet this is what I get. I'm wicked happy with this.

Ethernet speed.png

This is what my phone gets.

Phone speed.png

My WIFI Card is supposed to get 433 Mbps but this is the absolute best it ever gets.

WIFI speed.png

Supposedly there is an 867 Mbps card I could replace the exiting one with. I'm reluctant to do it though because I think it might not do any good. Also lately I'm always using all but about 2.3 Gb of my 8GB RAM and when I run these tests it goes down to about 1.5.

My question is do yall think it might help to upgrade to the fast WIFI and/or add another 8GB ram.

There are so many factors that come into play with wireless and it could be any number of issues. Let's start by getting your wireless card specs.

Cool thanks Neem. Here you go.

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Driver version: 19.51.2.4

I'd say that's the issue. The 3165 is AC, but only has a max speed of 433 Mbps (this is theoretical speed) you'll never get anywhere close to that half that speed is pretty good. Your Samsung has a Murata KM5D18098 wireless module, this is also AC and I think it's MU-MIMO 2 x 2. So it actually has dual antennas so the speed is probably around 800mbps (again theoretical) so again half that is reasonable. Wireless is also a lot like a hub in the sense it has to detect and handle collisions when more than 1 device is talking so that can affect speed. Plus you have attenuation, distortion, refraction, absorption, diffraction, interference affecting the signal

I was thinking you'd say something like that. That's Ok. If I need real fast speeds I'll just hook up the wire. Thanks Neem.

Back