Wifi Range Extender software or Using another Wifi Router?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by shuitongjing, Mar 20, 2014.

1. shuitongjing

shuitongjing New Member

Hi, I'm looking into getting something to help boost Wifi coverage around the house. My friend recommend this software: My WIFI Router( mywifirouter.me/features/), it said it can extend the range of your home or office Wi-Fi with just a few clicks. How do you think about such Wifi Range Extender software? or should I buy aother wifi router? Thank you in advance.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

The only way to extend the wifi coverage is to have a bigger antenna to boost signal strength or have multiple wifi access points to cover dead areas. The easiest way is to buy a wifi access point which can be a bit pricy or you can use another wifi router and DWRT software and convert it to a wifi repeater. It's less expensive but does involve a little DIY work.

3. badrobot

badrobot Senior Member

Extenders don't "boost" coverage. It only extends the reach but cuts the bandwidth into half. The extender itself is also a network client that uses the signal and then throw it back.
    Get a pair of powerline adapters and add an access point where you have a dead/weak spot.

Btw, I noticed that this question is always being asked by a new forum user. Endorsing?

4. Charlie210

Charlie210 Well-Known Member

Is your current router 802.11n? If not I would suggest you upgrade your router. That alone will greatly improve your coverage.