Windows 7 Will Windows' 7's public perception be better?

Matt

Judging from the comments at places like http://community.winsupersite.com/b...oking-like-a-june-2009-delivery.aspx#comments , I somehow don't think so. The iCabbal forces won't allow it.

robertsjoe said:
So soon after Vista? And not called Vista? Wonder why. Good idea to get rid of a tarnished brand. Really, it's Vista with the service packs. Nothing much there. Of course it's the same codebase, as if they could re-work that hairball in three years. And I bet it doesn't come out in time for June 2009. Nothing to see there. Lots more fodder for Apple's awesome ads.

To which mike responded quite well:

mike said:
You mean like Leopard?
So soon after Tiger? And not called Tiger? Wonder why. Good idea to get rid of a tarnished brand. Really, it's Tiger with the service packs. Nothing much there. Of course it's the same codebase, as if they could re-work that hairball in two and a half years.

Vista's image was deserved

I think the public's perception of Windows 7 will be more positive than was Vista's. The problem wasn't that ppl are just mean or just don't like change, it was the fact that Vista cost more, required more expensive hardware, required driver changes and, basically, had no significant changes that anyone could easily see. Thus it became an issue of "What's the benefit to me?" XP was more efficient, required less hardware and resources. The cost/benefit hurt Vista's image.

Windows 7, on the other hand, has rewritten the underlying code, so it runs more efficiently (and, in my own case running it on an HP 2133 mininote - it runs cooler). I think that, in itself, will help it's image with the public. Unlike Vista, there's now a reason to upgrade.

The public perception of Windows 7 is obviously going to be better than Windows Vista, for the small fact that as an OS, it will be MUCH better, both in speed and security.

As far as "This os is the same as the last os with service packs", isn't that every OS in its native line? XP is 2000 with 'service packs', Vista is XP, 7 is Vista, ME is 98SE, 98 is 95..... It's all a big chain of small code upgrades. They've never done a real code rework.

The perception will be 100000000000000000x better than that of VISTA. Windows 7 is so fast and Good that no one will be able to deny its greatness.

Public perception

At the risk of getting all the hate mail from the people who can't understand my point of view I will say that the public perception isn't because people hate microsoft or that they didn't want to change it was and still is (with regard to Vista) all from word on the street. Unlike MS's folger like commercials public opinion will be formed by what the first people say and then it will gather mommentum. I personally own Vista Ultimate - It sits on a shelf. I refuse to use it. Would actually like my money back, but that's my own issue- anyway. I Love windows 7. I run windows xp and windows 7 dual boot. I think windows 7 will be better because it is. Vista is crap and try as they may MS can't hide that fact and they don't fool anyone. Maybe it is because I live in rural indiana, but nobody here likes Vista. I have personally removed it (by request) from 4 people's machines that had it come oem for various reasons. The only thing I don't like about 7 is that the search is still lacking. I have to use 3rd party search tools to find things, but they are free so that isn't an issue for me anymore. If I know I made a class in march of 2007 it would be nice to have a native windows search that could find it by date.

I find nothing wrong with VISTA Currently. The only real thing that needed to change for VISTA were the dumb software developers that did not follow microsofts guidelines. Overall I would never go back to XP even if i had to choose between XP and Vista. One big thing with vista for me was the reworked start menu where you didnt have to branch off to half a million menus to get somewhere but when you went inside a menu it was just like windows explorer's tree view. Also I love the inserted search bar into the start menu which made everyones job easier. I think Microsoft's perception will change now that the software developers are used to creating the new technology and can make it easier.

The public perception of Windows 7 is obviously going to be better than Windows Vista, for the small fact that as an OS, it will be MUCH better, both in speed and security.

As far as "This os is the same as the last os with service packs", isn't that every OS in its native line? XP is 2000 with 'service packs', Vista is XP, 7 is Vista, ME is 98SE, 98 is 95..... It's all a big chain of small code upgrades. They've never done a real code rework.

Very well said!!! And very very true!

I find nothing wrong with VISTA Currently. The only real thing that needed to change for VISTA were the dumb software developers that did not follow microsofts guidelines. Overall I would never go back to XP even if i had to choose between XP and Vista. One big thing with vista for me was the reworked start menu where you didnt have to branch off to half a million menus to get somewhere but when you went inside a menu it was just like windows explorer's tree view. Also I love the inserted search bar into the start menu which made everyones job easier. I think Microsoft's perception will change now that the software developers are used to creating the new technology and can make it easier.

I have to agree with iroken22 here, Vista wouldn't have been near the headache it has become if software developers had simply followed the MS set guidelines. There's a reason they set these guidelines and if the software developers aren't going to follow them for whatever stupid reason then obviously the OS is going to suffer. Which translates to it not being entirely MS to blame.

Like I said in a previous post.. I'd really like to see some of these MS bashers sit down and make an OS from scratch and have it be anywhere near as stable and functional as any Windows OS from 98SE and up. Good fu$%king luck! ;) Go ahead and retaliate to this statement you self appointed twits, it will fall on deaf ears..

Back
Top Bottom