Windows 7 Will Windows Backup & Restore work on a Raid array ?

Scott_M

I was contemplating using a Raid 0 array as my primary C: drive with OS. I understand all the issues with that and do regular daily backups. I used to use Acronis which had no trouble with a raid array. But on this new build I was wondering if the built in backup tools would be able to image and more importantly restore my data to the array. My back up drive is not part of the array. I would guess that it would see it just fine from the OS and have no trouble creating the backup image, I am more concerned that if I had to use the rescue disk and reload the image weather or not the array would be visible to the restore disk.

Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Scott

I think it would work. But if you are used to Acronis, I would stay with that. Windows backup/imaging is not always reliable. It is extremely touchy and can leave you in the dark upon the slightest interference.

I suppose I have had the opposite experience with Windows Backup. It has always been reliable for me, if you follow some specific rules. It is not flexible like Acronis is, but the re-imaged system will have the exact configuration as the original image. It will not allow you to do things like replace the original drives with smaller drives, if the total partitioned space is larger than the new install.

I have not done a RAID re-image since I do not run one, but normal re-imaging works fine. I am fairly sure Microsoft knows how to handle RAID setups and would not give you a system that could not complete the task.

You have the option of installing your RAID, without entering a key, and then go through the scenario to test.

Decisions--Decisions... :)

I would go with Acronis too. I'm still using the home version of TI 2010. Paragon EaseUS and Macrium all have free versions that might also work.
Joe

Thanks guys ! I appreciate the input.
I am one of those guys who doesn't like to add redundant software if it is not needed. So I think I will wait until this weekend and plan a day of imaging and testing. If I can get by with the "included" software I will use it. If it does not work out I will install my copy of Acronis. It is an older version ( True Image 11 ) But I know it works. Who knows I may even upgrade to the 2012 version.
Regardless of the outcome I will post back with my findings to wrap up this thread for future searches.
Again
Thanks for the input !

Scott

Make note the title of the referenced tutorial is Broken Window 7 system image. It does not say the image was made with Windows 7 Backup and Restore.

The bottom line is, if the image is not good it will not work correctly, no matter how it is made.

Note that I am the author of the tutorial. I wrote it down after I had to help several people to recover their image - and those were ALL Win7 images. But you are right, it will work with any image that is a VHD.

Back
Top Bottom