Will You Upgrade to Windows 8?

Hmm not sure if i should upgrade yet, But its nice to read all your positive comments, One question i do have is , Does it come with any new built in games?.. Oh yeah and hi everyone. Hope your all well. :)

Heaps of game APPs available, is all I know about games. I'm trying not to play the pinball :what_smile:

Drew

I most certainly will upgrade my desktop to Windows 8, my notebook, I'm not sure yet.

If there is that small installer to upgrade to Windows 8 for it, and be able to keep my OEM functions (power options, Turbo Boost, etc) as is, then I may consider it. But before I buy, I would want to try the installer first to see how it's going to function.

Cat

It's Pirates and Daises for me... Man I'm addicted to that game!!

I've read that it will be impossible to set up another browser in Windows 8, but my fav browser Google Chrome.

The chrome browser works fine in Win 8. The dev and beta versions seem a little clunky running in the consumer preview but I'm sure given time this will change.

Just to answer the thread's title question. I have been using Windows 8 non-stop for 8 months. That usage is going to continue, except for being modified to include a laptop, as well as a PC. Easy to show it to clients & friends w/ it, also, on a laptop.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Since I do not consider going to win8 as an upgrade then No I will not go to win 8. Unless you like METRO then there is nothing that 8 offers that 7 does not. Just because you have the fastest car does not mean you cannot get stuck in traffic!

As an enterprise we are not considering moving away from 7.

Happy new year everyone!

It is too bad some people can't go past or beyond what they call 'Metro'. There is a lot more to Windows 8 than its UI and many do not see anything bad about the UI, anyway and many finding it offers Features and ease of use not in or better than past Windows. In a word it, Win8, offers improvement over previous Windows.

Many of its achieved design goals are geared specifically towards Enterprise. As well, its Features & performance are easily appreciated by much of the Enterprise world.

Happy New Year to you, too.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Last edited:
The Metro crap really bothers me, but considering you can regain Win 7 behavior with a few programs, I don't think it's a big deal. And even though there might not be that much new stuff, I might upgrade if only for the under-the-hood additions (performance, stability, responsiveness, security, that kind of stuff). Right now I'm just waiting for most programs to catch up to Windows 8 with fully compatible versions before I make the jump.

Not sure quite you you are referring to when you say, "Metro crap bothers me". As far as the UI is concerned it does not deserve the negative hype nor should one be swayed by the rumours that some software must be added to Win8 so it looks & or acts like some OS it's not... Windows 8 works very nicely w/out adding any such unnecessary 3rd Party stuff to it. There is, also, a window the can be implemented that allows one to stay on Desktop (not switch screens) & still, access ALL applications. There is very, very, little that is not currently compatible w/ Win8. There is 'new stuff' but, you are certainly right about the benefits derived from the under-the-covers technologies in Windows 8.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
Right now I'm just waiting for most programs to catch up to Windows 8 with fully compatible versions before I make the jump.

Which programs do you refer? Perhaps it's something we could help you with? I've been using Win 8 since the betas and have not had to change anything about my set up and the applications (third party) I use.

I should be more thorough with my thoughts, I tried Windows 8 once at a friend's house and while I don't think Metro looks bad, it's certainly jarring to maneuver through it in conjunction with the old windows explorer. It makes Windows 8 feel like two totally different OSes on top of each other. I was baffled for a moment when I couldn't find how to turn off the computer (perform weird motion on right side of screen and then go to settings? How was I supposed to figure that out?). Maybe Metro would make more sense if I had used a windows phone or tablet before, but I just haven't. Also, the whole Metro UI is not build for a mouse, several motions or menu selections require moving from corner to corner on the screen and it just feels like too much work just to select something or open the side bars.

And about the programs, I didn't realize how compatible Win8 is to Win7. I assumed wrong after having experienced the new stuff in Win8. I looked around a bit you're right, pretty much everything is supported.

Anyway, guess who decided to make the jump when he had to format his drive?

Last edited:
Here's a couple of tips/suggestions for you...

1. If you find moving the mouse a challenging, try using K/B shortcuts instead. Win+C, Win+X, Alt+F4 and so many more. I have them all listed in the Windows 8 Forums. Although, w/ a mouse, alone, one can navigate Windows 7 faster than prior Operating Systems.

2. There is a simple way to have an applications windows on the Taskbar. Gives you access to ALL applications both Store APPs & your other software, w/out ever leaving Desktop.

Cool you "made the jump", enjoy.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

I bought Windows 7 Professional in spring 2012, and it should have extended support 'til 2020, don't really see the need to upgrade - by 2020 Microsoft will most probably have the next OS, or even the next to that. I prefer several jumps to one jump.

On the other hand, I almost bought Windows 8 already. Only my stinginess was in the way.

I don't like hype. It seems to destroy more brain cells than alcohol.

Back