Windows 10 Win 10 Tablet Sees USB drives, but does NOT see any data!

Ninethe

Extraordinary Member
I'm running 32-bit Windows 10 Pro on a Toshiba Encore 2, model WT10-A tablet. I can always boot it successfully from any UEFI USB flash drive (both 2.0 & 3.0), but when I insert either type when running Windows -- although they show up in both the Device Manager and the Disk Manager -- they never show up in "This PC" and they never show any data!

For example, if I view the device in the Device Manager and select the "Volumes" tab then press "Populate" on any USB drive, it always looks like this:

VolPic1.png

What can I do?

Thanks!

W10 isn't designed to be booted from any external storage media such as a hard drive, SSD drive, or flash drive. It will work, as others have noted here on the forum, some with hacks some without, but certain things won't work correctly with your Windows including recognizing any other removable media on your computer/tablet connected to other USB ports.

I don't recommend these configurations to any of my Customers, as they are not supported by Microsoft as confirmed in the Microsoft Insider Tester Hub forum. If you call Microsoft support they will tell you the same thing.:noway: Some desktop PCs/laptops/tablets work better than others, but even updating their BIOSes and Chipset driver sets won't fix this particular problem. I'm not sure why you are running your W10 tablet from removable media, perhaps security reasons, but you may find other problems along the way, some have been reported here previously which you can search on using the forum search box or even google.

Best,
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Back