Windows 7 Win 7 loads up but hard drive says XP Pro?

FisherPal

Many apologies if, somewhere in here, this has already been addressed. I have no clue where I would begin searching. Anyway, if someone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
What has happened is this ... we bought a used tower and kind of got hosed on it. For one thing, the ad said 1G ram and it only has 512 mb ram. Bad news right off the bat, I know. Secondly, the system boots up as Win 7 start up, etc. then major problems start happening (black screen and all). When I went to Computer and checked the hard drive listed, this is where it gets weird to me. The hard drive listed says it is WinXp_pro on the hard drive. What?? I am assuming that the person who had this before tried to do an install over XP and it didn't work and they flogged this tower to the first unsuspecting sucker (which would be me). Anyway, just wanted to ask if my assumption is correct? There doesn't appear to be a windows.old folder on the system so looks like reverting back isn't an option. Any thoughts on what kind of a mess we have here?
Thanks!

ok first of all lets see if you actually have windows 7 bring up the run command if it is not on the start button then right click the taskbar the nthe start menu pane at the top then customize and find the run command and click it then it apply or ok now open the run command and type in "winver" without the quotes and post what comes up.

Thanks for the fast response! When I typed in winver, what came up was ... Windows7 Ultimate - Version 6.1.

Since posting this thread, the fellow we bought it from called back and said he had forgotten to put the extra ram in when he had the tower apart and will come by on Saturday and do that. If you feel that having at least the minimum 1G ram (32 bit) will solve the 'going to black screen', 'unexpectedly crashing with blue screen coming up saying terrible things', etc. - I'll be happy to wait and see what happens when we have the extra ram installed. I know from reading that 1G ram is the absolute minimum to run with this program. Still have to wonder why the installed hard drive says XP though ... frankly, on this old system, I'd rather have XP I think. Just seems that Win 7 will be too much of a processor hog unless we spend more money again with upgrades. Although extra ram isn't very expensive these days ...

well i would recommend you have 2gb of ram as that is the norm nowadays in computers but the more you have the better also if you get a graphics card even a cheap one you will notice a pretty descent performance improvment now back to trying to alleviate the blue screen. ok you should run startup repiar just in case and the memory diagnostics follow the directions below

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer
  2. Do one of the following:
  3. If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.
  4. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press Enter. (If Repair your computer isn't listed as an option, then your computer doesn't include preinstalled recovery options, or your network administrator has turned them off.)
  5. Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.
  6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it.

Back