Windows 7 Win 7 shuts down

Phedra

Win 7 automatically shuts down on me after about 8 hours. No matter what I'm doing, it just powers down and I lose whatever was on the screen. I have a Dell laptop and use it on electricity only. It also sits on a unit with two cooling fans. Have never used it on battery. I checked my power saving parameters and have set everything to "never". What is causing this to happen? I have the 32 bit version of Win 7. It didn't do this with Vista - actually, it has never done this until I installed Win 7.

Any suggestions about what might be causing this - perhaps you need more info about my system? Any help would be appreciated.

Phedra

Did you do an upgrade or a clean install.
If it was an upgrade that could well be the problem as dell's are very fussy and prefer a clean install to an upgrade.

Win 7 automatically shuts down on me after about 8 hours. No matter what I'm doing, it just powers down and I lose whatever was on the screen. I have a Dell laptop and use it on electricity only. It also sits on a unit with two cooling fans. Have never used it on battery. I checked my power saving parameters and have set everything to \"never\". What is causing this to happen? I have the 32 bit version of Win 7. It didn't do this with Vista - actually, it has never done this until I installed Win 7.

Any suggestions about what might be causing this - perhaps you need more info about my system? Any help would be appreciated.

Phedra

I'd start with a memory scan..... Then download and install SpeedFan (Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer) and monitor all of your temperatures for awhile. You could have a fan bearing seizing up after a period of time.

I purchased the upgrade - big difference in price. There has to be a setting somewhere that I can change to keep this from happening. I looked at SpeedFan and it appears to be geared toward a desktop computer rather than a laptop and it doesn't say that it works on Win 7. Vista is the last OS listed. I'm not sure what a memory scan is or how to do it and what it would tell me. This happens as regular as clockwork.. it's not random. I can count on it shutting down right around 8pm give or take 5 minutes. It doesn't lock up, it just turns itself off.

I purchased the upgrade - big difference in price. There has to be a setting somewhere that I can change to keep this from happening. I looked at SpeedFan and it appears to be geared toward a desktop computer rather than a laptop and it doesn't say that it works on Win 7. Vista is the last OS listed. I'm not sure what a memory scan is or how to do it and what it would tell me. This happens as regular as clockwork.. it's not random. I can count on it shutting down right around 8pm give or take 5 minutes. It doesn't lock up, it just turns itself off.

You must have something scheduled for 8 p.m. that is crashing. Look at your backup settings and 3rd party software, e.g. virus scans, defrag, etc. that may be scheduled for 8 p.m. Finally, search your registry for 8:00 and see if anything is keyed in there.

To eliminate any 3rd party software that might be scheduling something at 8 p.m., try being in safe mode from 7:45 to 8:15. If you don't shut down, start adding programs and services back and see what is causing the problem.

Back