Windows 7 Win 7 won't shtut down

Welcome to Windows7forums.. ;)

We're going to need a little more info than that to help you with your problem.. ;) Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Which build are you using? Did this just start happening or has it been happening since you first installed? System specs could prove useful as well.. :) Did you recently install any updates through Windows Update?

Welcome to Windows7forums.. ;)

We're going to need a little more info than that to help you with your problem.. ;) Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Which build are you using? Did this just start happening or has it been happening since you first installed? System specs could prove useful as well.. :) Did you recently install any updates through Windows Update?

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it! Actually, it's quite a long story, and I'm trying to get ready for a trip out of town tomorrow (and it's 1 AM now :) ), so I'm going to hold off on explaining in more detail until I have more time. Please bear with me, thanks! Probably be Thursday before I can get back to you.

Saul

Check your BIOS and make sure that the ACPI function is enabled.

If it is not enabled, you will have to enable it and then re-install Windows (although you might be lucky and do a repair launch).

If it is enabled, then quite often it is a driver for a piece of hardware that is malfunctioning.

PS.

Also see http://tinyurl.com/owdeqb for more information about this on the Microsoft Winx64 forums.

I too am having this problem. On a clean install of 7127, the system doesn't shutdown. I have to power off via the power button. My BIOS has no settings for either APCI or legacy USB devices. I do have a SDHC card for readyboost, and a USB mouse. These do not present any problems to Vista. It's a HP laptop. (Terrible polite Tech support by the way). Even closing all Programs before trying to shut the system down does no good. The Device Manager shows all devices ok. The graphics set is Intell. I'm not sure what the others are, so I assume they are intel too. Any ideas? Thanks

Thanks for the links. I had read that some people found that sound drivers were the culprit. But there is no sound driver in my msconfig. Looking thru the Event Log, I find multiple boot errors (these have never impacted my booting or using the OS, and shutdown errors every time I went to shutdown. The causes vary: some are not identified. The sound driver in use is the one the OS installed.

Thanks all. I'll try the ACPI fix, but I think it's either a hardware issue or maybe even a virus. I've had shutdown problems going all the way back to my original Vista install. I installed the Win 7 Beta in hopes of fixing that, and it did for a while, but eventually I had shutdown issues with the Beta as well, although it otherwise ran fine.

Mainly because of the expiration of the Beta, I decided to try Win 7. I initially tried to do an upgrade, using the versioning hack on the Win 7 team site, but that wouldn't work. Then I tried to do a clean install, but I was unable to back up my existing files and settings, because the Easy Transfer Wizard would never finish--the machine kept crashing. I finally succeeded in doing the clean install, but only after some scary moments where I couldn't even get the machine to reboot into Safe Mode.

Now, in addition to the shutdown issue, the machine just runs really, really, really slowly. It's painful, and basically unusable. I'm seeing this:
  • Startup is very slow, and sometimes it hangs at the splash screen or the welcome screen.
  • Some programs won't install at all, installation just hangs.
  • Programs that I have installed start up really slowly, or not at all.
  • I can't kill programs that hang, not even in Task Manager. Can't kill processes.
  • I get messages that the OS isn't genuine, even though I'm sure it is (downloaded from MS).
  • Can't get my anti-malware (MS Forefront Security) to work properly.
Etc. I'm thinking of getting a new drive and starting from scratch...

I've traced my shut down problem to my M-Audio Delta 1010LT sound card. Without the card installed, the computer shuts down with no problem. I install the sound card, and it won't shut down. This happens in both of my computers. I've been transferring the sound card back and forth, and the shut down problem follows the sound card.

:)

If you've had shutdown issues going back to Vista and to now, than it has obviously followed your hardware. Are you using an IDE drive? Windows 7 + IDE = very very slow. I had this problem, and worked very hard until I finally got Win7 to install on my SATA drive.

If you have any add on devices (sound, video, NIC, wireless, etc) remove them one by one (assuming you have intgrated devices to substitute) to see if your problem is fixed and determine which device it was. It could even (but hope not) be a compatibility issue with your system board (chipset)

If you've had shutdown issues going back to Vista and to now, than it has obviously followed your hardware. Are you using an IDE drive? Windows 7 + IDE = very very slow. I had this problem, and worked very hard until I finally got Win7 to install on my SATA drive.

If you have any add on devices (sound, video, NIC, wireless, etc) remove them one by one (assuming you have intgrated devices to substitute) to see if your problem is fixed and determine which device it was. It could even (but hope not) be a compatibility issue with your system board (chipset)

Thanks, Mike. I agree, it has to be a hardware issue. It's been up and down for me since this problem started getting critical. To be sure it wasn't the system drive (I've always been using SATA), I bought and installed a new, 1 TB drive, and loaded Vista 64 on it. After days of the usual crap, loading files and reinstalling programs, it was still shaky. So I knew then that it wasn't Win 7 per se or the drive, but rather some other hardware issue. I don't have a lot of add-on hardware. Just a graphics card (ATI HD 2600 XT), sound card (Asus DX--why does everything have an "X" in it ? :)), and an ATI TV card. My MOBO (Intel DP35DP) has onboard sound, which never worked properly, and an NIC, but not onboard graphics.

This morning, after I thought everything was running more or less normally (hah!), I had Explorer crash on me (tried to empty the Recycle Bin, silly me) and then I had to do a hard reboot, as usual. Then Windows wouldn't start at all. Got the Intel splash screen and the various DOS screens (so not a graphics card issue) but then that was it--I just saw a blinking cursor in the upper LH corner of the screen, the rest black.

At that point, I figured something was toast. Tried several times to reboot, even tried booting to the Vista DVD, but no go. Finally gave up and turned it off for a few hours. When I started it up again, lo and behold, I got the "Windows failed to shut down..." screen. So I booted into Safe Mode, shut it down (gracefully), and then installed 4G more memory that I had ordered, making 8G total. In the process, I moved my old memory from the 0 slots to the 1 slots, figuring that I'd reseat it in the process, what the hell, you never know. And now, it once again seems to be running fine! It even shut down nicely just now when I installed the Windows Media Center Home Server Connector.

So I'll wait and see what happens over the next few days. If it keeps running nicely, maybe I'll think about upgrading to Win 7. Or I just might wait for RTM, since it's coming in October, and that would save me having to do a clean install then, probably.

Thanks again,

Saul

I have news to report, some good, some bad. Not long after I reinstalled Vista, my shutdown/startup/hangup problems returned. I decided to reinstall Win 7, but that made no difference. I pulled everything but the graphics card and the C drive, but still no difference. So I figured it had to be something either in the BIOS, or else a motherboard/CPU issue.

I checked with the Intel site, and they recommended resetting the BIOS to default values (by going into BIOS setup and pressing F9 on each page.) I did so, and that seems to have done the trick. Now Win 7 shuts down nicely, starts up nicely, and doesn't hang.

However, I'm still having two problems, which might require a separate thread. They are:

1. I'm running 64-bit Win 7. I find that the 32-bit version of IE doesn't work properly. It opens, but pages never get rendered. Just blank. 64-bit version works fine, but, of course, Flash doesn't work there, among other things.
2. Win 7 is unable to compute the Windows Experience Index--I run the wizard, but it reports failure each time. As a result, no Aero.

Thoughts on these issues?

Thanks,

Saul

Back