Windows 7 Win7 can't use a lossless PNG or BMP as the Background, It makes it a lossy jpg!!

Discussion in 'Desktop Customization' started by Zeos, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Zeos

Zeos New Member

I don't know why this happens but setting a perfect lossless PNG as a windows background does not yield that same image windows uses as the background. Somewhere along the line windows seems to re-save it as a jpg with lots of artifacts and jaggies before using it as wallpaper. Is there some reg-edit that can fix this or does anyone know where the newly formed temporary .jpg goes? I have a cycling of about 15 PNG lossless screenshots and I can clearly make out all the "bad" windows is introducing to them by re-compressing.

2. Elmer

Elmer Extraordinary Member

I agree with you. It can sometimes totally b*gg*r up your well crafted wallpaper.

Here's the storage location: C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes. The file gets saved as TranscodedWallpaper.jpg.

I've not tried this method but I found this post by PixelOz, 7th one down, that describes a possible solution (OK, it's still a jpg, but at least you get to set the compression, i.e. none!!).

OK I've just tried it, my PC hasn't melted. Yet! How you'd go about setting this up for a slideshow however.......

#2 Elmer, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. alfred01

alfred01 Well-Known Member

Hi Zeos. If you want to change your PNG and BMP images to JPEG, then in Accessories in All Programs select Paint. Top left corner blue tab drop down menu select Open, then go to where the picture is and select it. Once it's open in Paint, same blue tab select Save As and JPEG will be an option. When you save it you will have to rename it in order to save both images. Hope this helps.

4. Zeos

Zeos New Member

I just opened all the PNG's in my cycle folder and re-saved them as 1 compression JPG's in Paint Shop pro. Seems to work as when I change it the Jpg in the C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes folder is the same size as the newly saved one ie +1.5 megs.

This is a dumb issue and should not exist.

5. Elmer

Elmer Extraordinary Member

I agree with you.
    Now my transcodedWallpaper is an uncompressed 1.4mb, compared with the previous compressed size of 324kb, the clarity is amazing! I can now see the hairs on the pimple on the knee of a flea. Not literally, but you get the idea! That also explains the slideshow dilemma (of mine). I take it the jpg is copied over to the transcodedwallpapers folder when it's in use, to be replaced at the next change over etc. etc..

#5 Elmer, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  6. Zeos

Zeos New Member

Exactly how it works. Even older versions of windows were able to use Bitmaps which are uncompressed and lossless.

Here's all the images I am currently cycling with the PNG's too.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire