Windows 7 Win7 crashes when installing AVG 8.5

golddust

Blue screen with unexpected error - windows must close to prevent damage, etc. (not enough time to really read the error it pops up and disappears too fast). Only install problem I've had so far. Running build 7000 . I'm running MS Office 2003, Firefox, Thunderbird and even Sim City 4 with no problems.

ive done both an upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5 and fresh installs with the latest 8.5 executable, no problems on my systems.

Running Build 6801 - had AVG 8.0 running and started getting blue screen. Tried to do an inplace upgrade to 8.5 and install process crashes before completing. Tried to run uninstall and that crashes too. There's another thread on the Windows7Forums that suggests using "Your Uninstaller" to remove AVG to stop the crashes. (but doesn't mention reinstalling AVG again so I'm guessing they're running without virus protection). LMK if anyone has any solutions.

...tried to install AVG Free 10 on brand new HP notebook, running W7 Prof - it completely screwed up the system, nothing worked anymore incl. shutdown!. Had to do a system restore to before the AVG install to get it back running...
Any ideas?

...tried to install AVG Free 10 on brand new HP notebook, running W7 Prof - it completely screwed up the system, nothing worked anymore incl. shutdown!. Had to do a system restore to before the AVG install to get it back running...
Any ideas?

AVG is one of the most un-recommended software of all, if that is even a word (lol it's not.)

Install MSE which will not slow the system down like AVG or cause bsods like AVG, that has a long history of doing so.

...still, I have AVG Free running on another (Dell) laptop for some time under XP without any problems...maybe it is just the Windows 7 version that are buggy....??

Yep, it's far worse on Windows 7, although as of late, they've made an improvement.

Recommendation still stands, of course.

Any ideas?

This is probably more to do with an incompatibility than anything else. As you mention yourself AVG for the most part runs fine and can be configured to run quietly without any slow down at all. As I said though sometimes apps just clash, is the HP lappie running any software actually from HP itself?

I do agree with Torrent though that MSE is actually better app..

Last edited:
I use the Avast Free with out problem. I gave up on AVG years ago. Run their unistall tool before you try anything else.
Joe

Back