Windows 7 Win7 OEM vs. Retail

What is the difference (besides price) of Windows 7 OEM versus Win 7 Retail?

None once it's installed.

OEM has no disk or manuals or tech support -only a keycode

Unless the OEM is hardware specific

There are two types of OEM product types(Branded and Unbranded) â€â€￾ the Branded are those used for "Direct OEMs" (major name brands that buy through a direct contract with Microsoft and produce and brand their own media from a Microsoft "Gold Master Copy" by using an Authorized Microsoft Duplication Partner), and those used for "System Builders" (local computer shops that buy generic, unbranded kits through Authorized Microsoft Distributors) are Unbranded.

Newegg sells the OEM version of Win7. Can I assume there is a disk in the package? I do not need a manual or tech support. It is a genuine copy, allowing Windows Update etc, correct?
If this is all correct, why would I buy the full retail versus the OEM version?

Newegg sells the OEM version of Win7. Can I assume there is a disk in the package? I do not need a manual or tech support. It is a genuine copy, allowing Windows Update etc, correct?

You'll have to read the description of what they are selling. OEM usually does not have a disk. You can get the iso from the links in my blogs.. about 4 th from last and download the iso directly from Microsoft.. but you have to install the version that you buy a key for. The key is version specific.

I think YES.. you can do updates once you get any version installed. They want to fix bugs that would cause failures or patch holes that would allow hackers to access business's records.

In my experience you do get a disk when purchasing an OEM copy. Basically they are the same os as the retail version, the difference lies in the licence. An OEM licence is for one machine only and is not transferable. Even if you change your motherboard that is considered a new machine and the licence will be void. Retail versions can be installed as many times as you like as long as it's on one machine only..
Also when purchasing OEM copies only one disk is supplied so you have to specify either 32 or 64bit.

Good reminder, which is why I bit the bullet and bought the retail Home Premium Windows 7. With the way I tend to reinstall it made sense for me anyway. Once your installs on the OEM version are used up (5 only I believe) you can still call Microsoft and get a new code pretty much as much as you like, at least thats what I found with Vista Ultimate. However, it does get to be a hassle which if like me; you will soon tire of. The retail version does have it's good points, even if the total amount of them is only one.

Also when purchasing OEM copies only one disk is supplied so you have to specify either 32 or 64bit.

So if I get the retail package, I will get 2 disks: 32 bit and 64 bit, and if I install 64 bit and decide I don't like it, I can reformat and then install the 32 bit version?

Thats correct,
and you will not be limited to th number of installs you do as long as you own the product. Upgrades and OEM versions have that on weakness t go along with their cheaper price

So if I get the retail package, I will get 2 disks: 32 bit and 64 bit, and if I install 64 bit and decide I don't like it, I can reformat and then install the 32 bit version?

Yes although I wouldn't activate either copy until your sure which one you want to use..:)

Back