Windows 7 Win7 Pro Upgrade Activation Limits

chansiu

Hi all,

I just bought a new HP laptop and Win7Pro upgrade disk is available with the purchase. I'm a new Win7 user and still playing around with it. I successfully activated the key.

A question came to mind though, I know the upgrade disk only allows a few times (3?) activation using my current key. In the pas when I was still using XP, I tend to format and clean install an OS every now and then. They didn't have activations back then and I could do this infinite amount of times. So, now that the new Win7 has a limit of installs/acitvations on it, does that mean I can't format my PC more than 3 times? What if I get lucky and attacked by viruses 3 times that led me to formatting my PC. Does that mean I have to kiss my genuine win7 goodbye???

I'm not sure how the activation system works. Please let me know how it is.

THanks!

Since this has just affected me, here goes. I bought the retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium. Seems like you I have to reformat every now and then. I just found yesterday my code for Home Premium was no longer activating. Simple procedure. It will inform you it can not activate and you call a toll free number and give them a bunch of numbers 9 to be exact. They will then issue you a new code. Barring anything that I am not sure of, you will have to follow that procedure each time you wish to reinstall. Not a biggie but, shall we say boring to say the least. Oh, Microsoft will ask you when you call has this software been installed on more than one computer. Obviously if you only have 1 computer, then just tell them that.

Back
Top Bottom