Windows 7 Win7 Ultimate from Vista HP SP2 (32bit) has been 'installing' for 72 hours- hung at 72%

Doug Noyce

I have been upgrading my Vista HP SP2 for the past 72 hours. It hung for many hours at different points but this is by far the worst. It is on the last segment, transferring files and programs and has been stuck on 72% for the past 48 hours! HDD LED is still flashing ( about 1 blink every 20 secs) and it seems to still be talking to the DVD as well, 'please wait' is still flashing, but nothing seems to be happening, Progress bar has not moved in days. I tried to cancel it yesterday and it would not let me, saying it would screw up the machine, to just wait.... and wait,,,, and wait....

How do I know it is doing anything and how long before I just give up and reformat. I installed this clean from the same disk (different key) on a clean drive machine and it loded in about 15 minutes complete. So I know the install program is OK.

Any hints??

Doug

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor? If so, did it recommend you removing anything.

There are some programs and drivers that just do not want to transfer. There may also be a problem with some anti-virus utilities.

If it rolls back, it will probably give you the location of a file to check for the install problems. If it doesn't I will try to find what it is.

I will also give you this thread. Normally this applies to a hang at 62%, but you might check it out.

Last edited:
Hi
Yes I ran the advisor, moved, deleted destroyed everything I was told to and it reported it was ready to go.
All utilities, AV and bot monitors were shut down and disabled prior to starting install.
It has never rolled back and is 1/2" from 100% complete on the progress bar.

I will check the link you gave and see if it is relevant.

Thanks for the help.

Doug

I checked the link ant it is titled
Solution to Windows 7 Installation Hang at 62% or 72% during Upgrade from Vista
Posted by Bapun on November 3, 2009

The resolution offered is a 'corrupt' file and tells me I have to roll back to Vista and start again!!!

I thought the last 22 years of Windows was BAD, but this is the WORST yet!

This was supposed to 'FIX' Vista, not be worse! I never had a problem with Vista I should have left it alone!!

Many users are facing problems with Windows 7 installation while upgrading from Windows Vista. Windows 7 installation stuck or hangs at 62% or 72% when upgrading from Vista via “Upgrade as install method”. The setup process stops and hangs and the system does not respond specially when it reaches 62% or 72% of completion. Even if you try to restart your system to resume failure installation process, it does not respond.

This installation problem happens because of iphlpsvc service and if you check the setupact.log file, you can see the error message as :

Warning [0x080b50] MIG AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62

If the setup installation error file tells the above and exact error for installation hang at 62% or 72%, then there is an workaround to get rid of this problem and continue with the installation process. Remember that this installation failure happens during Windows 7 upgrade from Vista only.

Fix Windows 7 Install Hangs at 62% or 72% Error

Reboot your computer for the system to roll back to Windows Vista OS
Navigate to Start >> right click on Computer >> Properties >> Advanced Settings >> Environment Variables
Under System Variables, click New >> press ENTER
Type in the following variable information:
Variable Name: MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS
Variable value: IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll

Reboot your computer and restart Windows 7 installation process
You are done.
The above workaround should fix the Windows 7 installation failure at 62% or 72% problem while upgrading from Vista and you can continue installing Windows 7 on your system without much hassles.

This is the problem with upgrading an OS, some have no problems (I had no problem at all when I upgraded) and yet others run into all kinds of problems. Then I moved form 32 bit to 64 bit and in doing this you have to do a clean install. As a last resort, you could try a clean install of 7. If you do decide to go that route, back up and save everything you want, if you don't you will loose it. A clean install wipes your HDD clean and puts an fresh new copy of what every version you choose.

I have installed 6 Win 7 OSs this week with no problems on any. 3 clean, 2 XP and one Vista upgrade. All went smoothly. (It would figure that my own machine would give me trouble! - Murphy's Law!)

A clean install is not going to happen! I would lose tens of thousands in apps, terrabytes of data and configs, and even if I was inclined, it would take weeks to restore, not to mention the costs to replace apps I have not seen disks for in years or are downloads to begin with, just to please Bill Gates?
If the FIX given in the forum is as easy as it says, why is it not known BEFORE the installs. It should be part of the Advisor applet!!

If this 'fix' does not work (assuming the rollback works at all) I will stay with Vista before going through that nightmare! Plus I am losing business day after day until I am back up and running!

Later....

Rollback was Successful: (Took 4 hours!)

While my 72% hang problem meets all of the criteria noted in the fix thread, after rolling back I accessed the setupact.log file and found no such error noted, i.e.,

Warning [0x080b50] MIG AsyncCallback_ApplyStatus: Progress appears to be stuck. Current progress: 62 (in my case 72)

This is the entire file (unless there is more than one by this name)

2011-05-06 16:55:32, Info UI Determining if we are in WDS/Unattend mode
2011-05-06 16:55:32, Info UI No need to hide autorun
2011-05-06 16:55:32, Info [0x0a000a] UI Autorun:Autorun core successfully initialized!!!
2011-05-06 16:55:32, Info [0x0a000b] UI Autorun:Autorun UI successfully initialized!!!
2011-05-06 16:55:40, Info UI AppWindow has layout style 0
2011-05-06 16:55:41, Info UI NavWindow has layout style 0
2011-05-06 16:55:41, Info [0x0a011c] UI WizardDialogPost::SetActive
2011-05-06 16:55:45, Info [0x0a018e] UI Passing command line parameter (E:\Sources\setup.exe /HideWelcome /uilanguage:en-US /targetlanguage:en-US) to IBS.

I guess the confusing part of this is there is no reference to Win7 upgrade and although it is referencing my E drive (DVD-ROM) which contains the Win7 disk, the date 5/6/11, is when the install began and there is nothing after this. If this is the actual setup log, it appears that is does not report a whole lot, after 2 days of progressing to the very end of the upgrade

I went ahead and changed the Environment Variables anyway as suggested just in case:
Variable Name: MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS
Variable value: IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll

None of the other referenced links pertain to me or my system or situation, so as usual, I seem to have found a new 'disease'.

Before I begin this fiasco again, I would like to be sure that there is not something I may be overlooking.

I have run the advisor several times.

The only thing it finds that need attention are the Apple apps (of course), i.e., QuickTime, iTunes, Safari, and for some reason my HP printer driver.

I have uninstalled all the Apple stuff, disconnected the printer and uninstalled its drivers.

I run Windows Upgrade and make sure I have ALL the latest recommended stuff installed and reboot

Before installing, I stop all AV and security software and disable the apps.
I shut down all TSRs
I disable all 'monitors' and BG utilities, screensavers, wallpapers, etc.
I disconnect all external hardware, USB hubs, and drives.

Only the keyboard and mouse remain attached.
I left the LAN and WLAN attached as I don't know if the install needs to access the net for anything during the install. This makes me nervous because on 3 of my previous installs last week (even the 'clean' ones) when install was completed and AV apps installed, there was tons of malware and viruses found on these brand new installs, that were not there before on the upgrades and certainly nor on the clean installs, which were brand new drives.

If there is something I am doing or not doing that will help, please advise.

I will wait for your response before beginning another 3 day journey into the Windows 7 'clouds'!
If it does not work this time, I will chalk it up to lost money for Bill G, and stay with my Vista SP-2

Thanks for your help!

Doug

Last edited:
I could only think of a couple of things you might check.

Try to disconnect any devices you can. If you have something you could uninstall prior to attempting the upgrade, it might help. Possibly the Vista drivers are having problems. Any differences between your machine and the other installs you have done?

Check you video connections, since at one time there were problems with HDMI connected monitors.

Disconnect the internet and do not enter your Key during the install and uncheck the "activate when online" box.

Do you have room on your hard drive for the Windows.old directory to be stored?

And another link so you can make sure you have the right logs. Some may be hidden system files, so make sure you have you system set to see those.

Upgrade stops responding (hangs) at 62% when you upgrade to Windows 7

Windows Setup Log Files

This one is for Vista, but not much difference.

I could only think of a couple of things you might check.

Try to disconnect any devices you can.

As I said, all devices other than mouse and keyboard are disconnected before I start.

If you have something you could uninstall prior to attempting the upgrade, it might help. Possibly the Vista drivers are having problems.

I keep it pretty clean, but I will look and see if there are any apps I can UI.

Any differences between your machine and the other installs you have done?

There are always differences, but basically the same or even lesser processor, RAM and space.

Check you video connections, since at one time there were problems with HDMI connected monitors.

I have no video connected to this machine.

Disconnect the internet and do not enter your Key during the install and uncheck the "activate when online" box.

I will disconnect the net. The key is not requested until installation is completed and verified as valid.

Do you have room on your hard drive for the Windows.old directory to be stored?

I have 2 terabytes of space, on 2 internal and 4 external drives. I think that should suffice! ;-) I assume I can move it after the install (he says, assuming it is going to work this time!)

And another link so you can make sure you have the right logs. Some may be hidden system files, so make sure you have you system set to see those.

Upgrade stops responding (hangs) at 62% when you upgrade to Windows 7

Windows Setup Log Files

This one is for Vista, but not much difference.

I will check them out before I begin. I will keep you posted on the progress via my laptop

Thanks for the help!

Doug

Murphy's law does suck especially when it happen to ones own PC. I difinitely feel your pain there. There is one more route to take but it's a little bit antiquated but just might work for you. Create a system image on a disc or to an external hard drive, then remvoe internal hard drive and install new blank hard drive, then install your version of 7, then move files from system image or external drive to newly formatted hard drive. If that doesn't work at least you still have the old hard drive with all your data still intact and just reinstall it. It's worth a shot at least. Good luck!

I could actually install it on one of my external drives and have 2 OSs to work with, no? Any reason why I cannot install it on an external drive?

The way you mention is not actually good for me as my machine is a bit of a bastard. Its and HP IQ-775 TouchSmart, which is kind of an all-in-one hybrid, half desktop, half laptop. Uses all sorts of mobile hardware to keep the profile small. I am not even sure what (or where) the hard drive is, a 3-1/2, 5-1/2. SATA, IDE, or what? (assuming I can even find it!) I have the machine open right now and I do not see a hard drive anywhere!! It's probably hiding under the DVD drive, but that is just a guess!

I have a terabyte of free space on my externals, so if the next round fails, I may just go that route if it is possible. Not sure how mix-n-match drivers will work the apps though? I am strongly thinking of abandoning the whole Win7 thing entirely. My Vista works just fine!

Your thoughts?

D

You guys never replied to this last message. I am still where I was back on Vista, but now none of my video editors (I do this for a living!!) are working! I have not made a nickel since this whole thing started and have lost multiple customers!

Adobe Premiere, Cyberlink Power Director, Ulead Video Studio 11 Pro64, have all stopped working and will not even start! I have been to all the OEMs and have had ZERO luck getting this fixed, Uninstalls, re-installs, patches and updates, nothing works. Whatever the Windows 7 install did, is an MS issue and needs to be fixed before I can run my video editing software again. Interestingly (and maybe a clue) is the Adobe Premiere works, but will not save MPEG-2 files. It will save in almost any other format, but MPEG-2 (which of course is what I need for the best quality videos!).

If anyone has any ideas... ?

D

I asked you if there was room to install an upgrade. I meant just the C: partition, since you need room for the clean install plus the old install plus possibly some paging files.

It it isn't finishing the install, then something is stopping it, but what? Is it a specific driver, some software, hard to tell. You say the setupact.log or setuperr.log do not show any problems, so all you can do if you still want to install over Vista is to try removing or disabling some devices. If I did not suggest before, disable the onboard sound and any other unnecessary devices.

I think you said you did a clean install to test and it worked, so something from the old install is causing the problems.

Copy these two logs and zip or turn them into text files and attach using the paperclip on the advanced reply page. If you cannot find these hidden system files, look for others and send the largest version you have.

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log

If you have already checked them, I will probably not be able to find anything, but I will try.

I asked you if there was room to install an upgrade. I meant just the C: partition, since you need room for the clean install plus the old install plus possibly some paging files.

Hi, Thanks for replying.:wave:

C: drive has 170GB free space, including the old system. Not sure if the page files are calculated in this number as 'set-asides', but there should still be enough room. I also have dedicated page files on 3 other drives.

It it isn't finishing the install, then something is stopping it, but what? Is it a specific driver, some software, hard to tell. You say the setupact.log or setuperr.log do not show any problems, so all you can do if you still want to install over Vista is to try removing or disabling some devices.

If I said that, I was talking out of my...err... hat! I did not have the path the first time, so the file I found was obviously NOT the correct file. Thanks for the full path, I found them both. The setupact.log file alone is 143MB, and I don't understand most of it. Not sure what I am looking for exactly (sorry, I am a CNE :monkey:, not an MCSE! :nerdie:)

If I did not suggest before, disable the onboard sound and any other unnecessary devices.

Sound? How, exactly? Just turn off the sound card? I do disable most 'TSR's and anything that does not seem like it is needed for an install, i.e., a/v, security, system monitors, etc., not sure about LAN/WLAN? Should they be disabled? I left them activated the first time(s).

I think you said you did a clean install to test and it worked, so something from the old install is causing the problems.

No, never did a clean install or I would have left it! Did clean installs on other machines, not this one.

I ran the Advisor again and it reported a few things that did not show up the first time. I have uninstalled everything it showed as incompatible, except for those suspected of possibly just needing new drivers to work. I can always grab them later if needed. It noted an app installed by the OEM (HP), but there was no uninstall for it, so I deleted the entire directory, but not sure if it left anything in the registry, or if that would matter.

Copy these two logs and zip or turn them into text files and attach using the paperclip on the advanced reply page. If you cannot find these hidden system files, look for others and send the largest version you have.

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log

I found them both and they are attached. I zipped them as-is, as they open as text files already.

If you have already checked them,

No, I did not check them. Like I said, not sure what I am looking for (or at).:question: Any references you see to Adobe PSE-6, or Adobe Premiere 4, are moot as both have been uninstalled at this juncture.

I will probably not be able to find anything, but I will try.

Sure you will! I have faith!! :pray: I really appreciate you looking into this stuff. I am at wits end, and losing money daily until I can get either Win7 working, or restore all the apps that it crippled the last time.:cash: I still do not understand how all the 'support' people for these apps do not know what is causing them not to work. Surely, I am not the only person who has experienced this with their apps. and Windows 7 (and why just video editors??
:confused:). Maybe if I could talk to an American?.....:alien:

A rhetorical question on the above: When I ran the system compatibility checker, all of the apps that no longer work on Vista, show as fully compatible with Windows 7. Did the setup possibly change the drivers for these and not roll them back, so now they don't work on Vista anymore? Hmmmm....

I await your review and response! And, thanks again for your time and trouble!:worship:

Peace, out!
:peace:

(Note: Zipped file is 5.87MB and exceeds the 5MB limit set by the site.
I will try to split it and see what happens...)

OK, I split them and it looks like they will attach. The first one is the setuperr.log and setupact Part 1.
I will follow with Setupact- Part 2

Attachments

• setupact-Pt1.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 564
From what I see in the log, I would suggest you do a Custom Install and start new. There are so many errors in the log I would have to think your system will never get back to normal.

You still show Quicktime and Avira entries, I thought those were removed.

Anyway, you have probably at least 100 pages of Warnings and eventually it gave a message saying the Progress Text could not fit in the window and that was it.

I am in the process of doing an upgrade install over Vista to see what a log is supposed to look like, so unless you have two monitors (which your system description does not show) and can disconnect one, I have no other suggestions right now.

Thanks... my luck of course.

Not sure what a 'custom' install is. Why does the rollback not fix what it corrupted? Is there any way to fix my Vista to get all my lost drivers back?

Not sure what the '2 monitors' thing is about. My monitor is integral to the machine. The only external video output I have is a 'mini' VGA, but I have no cable for it. Tell me what you are referring to, so I know if I should get one. I have a monitor I can output to if needed.

I did not say I removed Avira, I said I shut it down for the install. I did remove Quicktime, why it shows I have no idea.
Checking again, after 'removal', Quicktime does not show up in my uninstaller apps, Windows or third party, but looking in the directories it is apparently still there. There is no uninstaller in the folder, so I will use my third party app to do a forced uninstall. If that does not work, I will remove it manually from Program Files and registry. I removed the Apple Updater, which sneaks these apps back in when no one is looking! I will also try to associate MOV files with another app, if possible.

What I do not understand is the Windows7 Advisor, scanning my system for almost 30 minutes, and coming up with "Compatible for Win7 HP or Win7 Ultimate" if it is not.

Thanks for all your help on this. If you come up with any bright ideas, I am all ears!

Doug

Is there any way to fix my Vista to get all my lost drivers back?

I don't think so.

Not sure what the '2 monitors' thing is about. My monitor is integral to the machine. The only external video output I have is a 'mini' VGA, but I have no cable for it. Tell me what you are referring to, so I know if I should get one. I have a monitor I can output to if needed.
Some folks have had problems with two displays connected to their system. If you do not have any cables plugged in, it does not apply to you.

I did not say I removed Avira, I said I shut it down for the install. I did remove Quicktime, why it shows I have no idea.

You may not be able to shut down all of an Anit-virus program. This does not show as an error in your log, but the log may not be accurate if it was not made after the first install attempt. QuickTime may only have folders left over from the previous install it is trying to move.

What I do not understand is the Windows7 Advisor, scanning my system for almost 30 minutes, and coming up with "Compatible for Win7 HP or Win7 Ultimate" if it is not.
I am sure it is not perfect. There are probably many situations it will have trouble making accurate determinations.

Do you have any way to reimage Vista back before you started the Win 7 install attempts?

If you check your system for hidden $xxxx type files in the C: \ directory, do you show anything? If you do, a Windows 7 update may try to move those also, which it should not have to do. Hard to tell right now the exact situation with your system. But I am suggesting a clean install by using the Custom option after you boot to the Install DVD.

Back
Top Bottom