Windows 7 Win7 with only 4GB HDD

adammhaile

The Win7 requirements state that you need at least 16GB of HDD space to install... These numbers are usually on the high end though. Has anyone been able to install Win7 on a system with only 4GB? (Obviously on a Netbook or something similar). I would like to install Win7 on my Dell Mini 9, but it only has 4GB...want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Although I don't know for sure if you can successfully install Win 7 onto a 4GB HDD, I don't really think it would work very well if you did actually manage to pull it off.. ;) I say this simply because I know with Vista if I created a partition any less than 20GB's it seemed to run like crap.. It's not that it wouldn't run it just didn't run very well.. but of course that could have been because of what I was doing on the comp too.. Video editing and what not requires alot of disc space so that no doubt was most of the reason... ;)

But like I said, I don't know for sure if you could do what your proposing or not.. I think I may give it a try though now that you bring it up.. I'm curious to see for myself.. I've got an old 10GB HDD kickin around here somewhere I could try it on...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help... :)

I can't for 100% say it's impossible,but atm it wouldn't be the smartest move to make.I can tell that my Windows folder takes about 9 GB of space.Stay with XP.Anyway you couldn't enjoy windows 7 visual effects and features fully on your dell mini.If you wan't you can swith to Ubuntu (if you aren't using it already).

The Win7 requirements state that you need at least 16GB of HDD space to install... These numbers are usually on the high end though. Has anyone been able to install Win7 on a system with only 4GB? (Obviously on a Netbook or something similar). I would like to install Win7 on my Dell Mini 9, but it only has 4GB...want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

You can do it, but it takes about 2 days, due to the fact that it compresses the OS. It also runs like utter shit.

Back
Top Bottom