Windows 7 win7 x64 bsod - possibly intel 5100 agn wifi related

somdfish

Brand new Win7 x64 (pre-installed) worked 2 weeks - then BSOD's mostly bad_pool_header
Did a complete system rebuild (from disk)
Worked 1.5 weeks, now BSOD's - again mostly bad_pool_header

Funny thing - no BSOD when connected wired. Switch to wifi and BAM BSOD almost immediately.

Sony says bring it in, but if there is something I can do to self fix that would be great as I would rather know what the issue is and fix it "hands on"

Any help? Can provide dump files etc upon request, but will wait until someone shows an interest.

Thanks in advance...any/all insight welcome.

new info, whocrashed reports the following....

On Wed 11/18/2009 12:59:22 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]netw5s64.sys[/FONT]
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80061DA040, 0x7CDD71BA7A62B6D1, 0xFFFFFA80061DA040)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]BAD_POOL_HEADER[/FONT]
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111809-41090-01.dmp
[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netw5s64.sys
product: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter[/FONT]
company: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Intel Corporation[/FONT]
description: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver
[/FONT]

Possible solution...

- updated intel agn 5100 drivers from intel - still have bsod's
- uninstalled intel agn 5100 through device manager
- rebooted
- win 7 reinstalled older version of intel agn 5100 drivers from 5.14.2009 (ver 12.4.1.11)
- interesting note: no longer see win virtual wifi in network adapters in device manager
- seems to be working fine now - connected via wifi (at least no BSOD's for about 1.5 hours - and it was happening after about 5 minutes before, but only when active in a browser and on wifi)

Entire day with no BSOD's on wifi - maybe I have this problem resolved (at least on my machine)
I thought I would share my specs on the off chance someone else has the same issues

Win7 x64 on Sony VAIO VGN-FW560F
Connecting to a D-Link DI-614+ Router
802.11b

solution worked for me

Hey,
Thanks a lot for the post. I've the exact problem [BSOD after couple of hours while connected wirelessly to router. but only happens if i download/upload something at that time.]. I tried updating the wireless driver, but that didn't help.
As per your suggestion i removed the driver from device manager and rebooted the laptop. Windows 7 installed the driver on its own and i'm not seeing BSOD now [4 days without crash].

My config:
Sony VAIO VGN-FW510F
Windows 7 X64

Connected to 802.11N capable router.

I guess, the driver is corrupted with factory shipping and updating the driver doesn't help. We've to remove the wireless driver completely and then do fresh install.

Update: crashed on 5th day.... I'm worried now. Whenever i use utorrent, i'm facing this issue. I guess it should reach some download speed to hit this BSOD and may been i was downloading at low speed in that 4 day period.

Another guy has reported similar issue, but he has given up running torrent on laptop.
http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/44395-unexpected-bsod.html

Thanks,
Vijay

Last edited:
Found this somewhere, don't remember where, try it and see if it works.
· Bad_Pool_Header
You can do this in safe mode
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
7. Restart your computer.

I've been having the same exact problem under the same exact circumstances. It's definitely a problem with the drivers for the Intel wifi, and the BSOD definitely seems to happen when you're downloading/uploading (last time I got it, I woke up to it after I went to sleep and left uTorrent running). They really need to update the driver again and fix this issue. I found an old driver for it from 2008 and I haven't gotten the BSOD death, however this driver isn't reliable either, as I get disconnected pretty often. I wish I could just go back to the last driver, before November. Anyway, I just wanted to confirm this is indeed the problem.

I did notice that the latest drivers on the site say 12/21, however the actual version number looks to be the same exact number of the drivers that I download on 11/21 through Windows Update, which started the whole BSOD issue. Would they have updated the drivers without changing the version number?

Can't say for sure what their practices may or may not be as far as versioning is concerned. Just thought I would call that particular driver to your attention in case you hadn't checked back with intel lately. If you choose to do it and it results in unsatisfactory results it seems that it would be a simple matter to roll back the driver to the one you are currently using. Just a thought

That's true. It's probably worth at least trying, however I don't know how useful rolling back would be. When I figured out that the problem was the Intel drivers and I realized I had recently installed new ones, I tried rolling back, and it set me back to drivers from last March, but they wouldn't work at all, so I was forced into using the current/bad ones until I found the one I'm using now.

OUCH !! I can see why you might be a little hesitant. Nothing ventured nothing gained, but I would sure hate to see you give yourself a really bad Christmas Present. Oh well, let me know if there's any further developements.

Yeah, as annoying as the disconnecting is, it can unfortunately be worse. If I can make sure I have a back up of these current drivers, I will probably try the 12/21 set and see if it's different. Thanks for the replies.

Back