Windows 10 Windows 10 Blocked my computer:a archive has expired

Sander1959

(First of all, sorry for my bad english, im not a native speaker)Hello, i have a very big problem in here, in april, i downloaded windows 10 preview (i think it was Beta) in my laptop (Dell Inspiron 15R) in the oficial page of windows, so it was everything okay until in 31 October a warning appeared: If you dont download an official copy of windows you computer will expire September 15, you can download a version for free in our store.

Ok, i went to the store but it didnt work! the store NEVER worked, so in September 15 my computer just stopped working! when i turn it on it appears:
"Your PC/device needs to be repaired.

A component of the operating system has expired.

File: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Error code: 0x0000605

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media contact your PC administrator or manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again.

Press F8 for startup settings."

So, i dont know how to manage this! i tried with an usb with windows 10 preview (dowloaded equal form the official page) but it didnt worked, what can i do? how can i get back my windows 8? how can i downgrade if i cant acces my computer? it was the original one, i just want that, it appears that windows is going to make me pay for my "free" copy, anyway thanks for all people supporting.

Ok, i went to the store but it didnt work! the store NEVER worked
Sounds like you used the store app from the beta build of WX... & no that wouldn't have worked because its not the same store.

how can i get back my windows 8?
If the computer came with W8 as an osdm or oem then the key is on the motherboard... will simply insert it during a normal (usb or disc) install without even asking you for it.

You can also if you want, reinstall your W8 (with free key?), upgrade that to W8.1.1 (still free) from the Microsoft store then upgrade that to WX (also still free).

Note that, when your system tells you to "do something by this date or else" its hard to see how you could think just ignore it and hope it goes away but that's not the issue now.

Sounds like you used the store app from the beta build of WX... & no that wouldn't have worked because its not the same store.

If the computer came with W8 as an osdm or oem then the key is on the motherboard... will simply insert it during a normal (usb or disc) install without even asking you for it.

You can also if you want, reinstall your W8 (with free key?), upgrade that to W8.1.1 (still free) from the Microsoft store then upgrade that to WX (also still free).

Note that, when your system tells you to "do something by this date or else" its hard to see how you could think just ignore it and hope it goes away but that's not the issue now.

Hey, thaks for answering, but i tied downloading windows from the original page again but it asked me a serial number! and the one that was on the control panel was "not valid" !!!! i really tried to upgrade my windows, but now the computer dont recognize the usb!!

As Norway mentioned, you have multiple problems. :eek: The first is that when you downloaded the Preview version, you left yourself open for a one-way ticket to oblivion. If you are going to try Preview or what we call "Beta" or experimental software, you should always have a backup plan. The best way to do this is to use a separate hard drive for your W10 experimental upgrade. Probably no one told you that. But, if you read the Microsoft Insider Community forum on the Internet, you would have seen all the warnings about NOT doing it this way and what could happen. Most of us 5 Million Insiders who assisted Microsoft with the experimental W10 since before July 29th are aware of the risk running Beta software. It appears you were not, or have never been a Beta tester before, or just didn't undertand what you were getting into. With all that being said, the next time you plan on upgrading to experimental software, you can ask us here on this forum for professional help BEFORE clicking the upgrade button!

I certainly hope you managed to backup all your Personal Data (documents, photos, music library, video library, emails, etc.) to external media prior to upgrading the W10 preview. If not you should take that hard drive out of your Dell computer and set it aside on a table or in a drawer to perform Data Recovery on (DIY or pay a Tech to do; can be very expensive).

Once you perform Data Recovery and get your stuff of that scrambled drive (W10 preview), you can attempt to use the F10 or F12 key and use the Dell Recovery Menu to attemtp to roll your system back to it's factory condition; Win8 or whatever you had on that computer prior to your W10 preview upgrade.

This will erase everything on your hard drive, but will put back the Windows you were running prior to the upgrade, as per above paragraph, and give you Win8 with all programs, but none of your personal data. Test for connectivity to the Internet. At this point as long as the restored computer has Win7/8/8.1/8.1.1 on it; you are still eligible for the legit 1 year free W10 upgrade. You can upgrade then and get your Win10 back in this manner. It's not the only way, but it's the easiest.

If the Dell Recovery or Reset fails to work, you could have corrupted the hidden rescue partition, and you will need factory Windows Recovery discs for your exact model computer. If that computer is less than 3 years old, it's unlikely that disks came with your system unless it's a desktop. It sounds like you have a laptop--you didn't provide us with the full model number. In that case, if it's a newer laptop, you probably didn't get the discs you need. You can order them by calling Dell Support and have them shipped to you. It will cost you from $29-$99 US; and takes 2-3 weeks if you live in U.S.; more if you're overseas.

If you wind up having to order the Recovery Discs from dell, you'll have to run them and put back whatever Windows originally came on that model computer that Dell shipped. If you are the original owner; you should be able to remember this. If you inherited this computer or bought on auction or yard sale or similar, you'll find out what came with the laptop during your phone call with Dell Support; they will tell you by running the Tag # on the LABEL on your computer case or laptop bottom or inside of the battery case (you'll have to remove the battery to see this) during the phone call.

Once your original Windows is reinstalled on the computer; say Win8; you must then upgrade to Win8.1 or better yet Win8.1.1 through the Microsoft Apps Store. This process can take between 1-3 days. Within a few days of that you should get the little Windows flag notification in your sytem tray on the lower right-hand side of your Win8x desktop by the clock. From there you can reserve your free W10 upgrade, and from within a few hours to a few days, you'll get a 2nd notification allowing you to click on it and actually download and install the W10 upgrade (legit). This can take from 8 hrs. - 24 hrs. we've seen; so be patient. There will be multiple reboots during this process. It's a little different than the Preview version you ran back in April.

Once done, you'll have your W10 legit license all installed and working again--error free!:D From there you can reinstall any programs you lost, and copy back (restore) all your Personal Data from external media if you took that step as discussed above.

Best of luck,:thumbs_up:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

As Norway mentioned, you have multiple problems. :eek: The first is that when you downloaded the Preview version, you left yourself open for a one-way ticket to oblivion. If you are going to try Preview or what we call "Beta" or experimental software, you should always have a backup plan. The best way to do this is to use a separate hard drive for your W10 experimental upgrade. Probably no one told you that. But, if you read the Microsoft Insider Community forum on the Internet, you would have seen all the warnings about NOT doing it this way and what could happen. Most of us 5 Million Insiders who assisted Microsoft with the experimental W10 since before July 29th are aware of the risk running Beta software. It appears you were not, or have never been a Beta tester before, or just didn't undertand what you were getting into. With all that being said, the next time you plan on upgrading to experimental software, you can ask us here on this forum for professional help BEFORE clicking the upgrade button!

I certainly hope you managed to backup all your Personal Data (documents, photos, music library, video library, emails, etc.) to external media prior to upgrading the W10 preview. If not you should take that hard drive out of your Dell computer and set it aside on a table or in a drawer to perform Data Recovery on (DIY or pay a Tech to do; can be very expensive).

Once you perform Data Recovery and get your stuff of that scrambled drive (W10 preview), you can attempt to use the F10 or F12 key and use the Dell Recovery Menu to attemtp to roll your system back to it's factory condition; Win8 or whatever you had on that computer prior to your W10 preview upgrade.

This will erase everything on your hard drive, but will put back the Windows you were running prior to the upgrade, as per above paragraph, and give you Win8 with all programs, but none of your personal data. Test for connectivity to the Internet. At this point as long as the restored computer has Win7/8/8.1/8.1.1 on it; you are still eligible for the legit 1 year free W10 upgrade. You can upgrade then and get your Win10 back in this manner. It's not the only way, but it's the easiest.

If the Dell Recovery or Reset fails to work, you could have corrupted the hidden rescue partition, and you will need factory Windows Recovery discs for your exact model computer. If that computer is less than 3 years old, it's unlikely that disks came with your system unless it's a desktop. It sounds like you have a laptop--you didn't provide us with the full model number. In that case, if it's a newer laptop, you probably didn't get the discs you need. You can order them by calling Dell Support and have them shipped to you. It will cost you from $29-$99 US; and takes 2-3 weeks if you live in U.S.; more if you're overseas.

If you wind up having to order the Recovery Discs from dell, you'll have to run them and put back whatever Windows originally came on that model computer that Dell shipped. If you are the original owner; you should be able to remember this. If you inherited this computer or bought on auction or yard sale or similar, you'll find out what came with the laptop during your phone call with Dell Support; they will tell you by running the Tag # on the LABEL on your computer case or laptop bottom or inside of the battery case (you'll have to remove the battery to see this) during the phone call.

Once your original Windows is reinstalled on the computer; say Win8; you must then upgrade to Win8.1 or better yet Win8.1.1 through the Microsoft Apps Store. This process can take between 1-3 days. Within a few days of that you should get the little Windows flag notification in your sytem tray on the lower right-hand side of your Win8x desktop by the clock. From there you can reserve your free W10 upgrade, and from within a few hours to a few days, you'll get a 2nd notification allowing you to click on it and actually download and install the W10 upgrade (legit). This can take from 8 hrs. - 24 hrs. we've seen; so be patient. There will be multiple reboots during this process. It's a little different than the Preview version you ran back in April.

Once done, you'll have your W10 legit license all installed and working again--error free!:D From there you can reinstall any programs you lost, and copy back (restore) all your Personal Data from external media if you took that step as discussed above.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

thank you for all the explanation, i have no other way than restoring my computer (along loosing 700 GB of stuff) but i already had 3 months with this situtation and i cant stand more, so, how i reset it? just pressing F1or F10 during the initiation (it least like 5 seconds)

Thank you so much

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I tried F10 and F12 and only F12 took me to a menu that i dindt understood, i tried F2 and put the option of restoring to the facctory state, but it didnt worked, it just pulled off the blue screen of a component has expired

how can i get back my windows 8?

i tied downloading windows from the original page again but it asked me a serial number!
Clear something up 1st please... your computer came with Windows 8 pre-installed or Windows 8.1? They are different systems and the fix is case by case i.e, what works on Windows 8.1 will not work for 8.

Hi again,

It sounds like you may have suffered a catastrophic hardware failure; most likely the hard drive. If you can't run the Recovery Partition, using my instrucitons from Post #4 above, that means that the hard drive has probably failed, especially given that you are now getting a Blue Screen with an error message (BSOD).

You failed to answer our question about if you have factory Recovery Discs for the Windows that came with your Dell computer (Win8??--please confirm this version, as Norway also asked you). If you don't have those discs, or ignored the Caution popup on your windows desktop that reminded you to make them, you will have to buy them directly from Dell for $29-$99 as I mentioned in Post #4 above.

Order those disks, it will take 2-3 weeks to get them in US, or longer if you're outside US. The disc or usb will be bootable, and you can then attempt to put back the original Windows version (Windows 8?) that came pre-loaded on your laptop when you opened it new from the box. Once this works, you can re-read our posts on how to upgrade to W10. HOWEVER, if the Recovery Discs or Recovery USB drive you get in the Mail from Dell fails to work; most likely your hard drive has failed, and it must be replaced.:waah::waah: If you already know how to replace a hard drive in a laptop, you can do yourself. A new laptop hard drive can be had from ebay or amazon for about $100 US or less, depending on capacity. If you've never replaced a laptop hard drive, we suggest that you take to a local repair shop that uses licensed computer Techs, and pay a professional to do it.

For a few dollars more, once they get your Win8 reinstalled on the laptop, they can easily perform the W10 upgrade for you and you'll be all set. :applaud:

Since you've spent 3 months trying to fix your problem with various software tools and solutions, you've probably figured out by now that "NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET CAN FIX BROKEN HARDWARE!!!". Since you most likely have broken hardware, you must replace the bad part, reload your Windows software and move on.

Best of luck and post back along the way if you get stuck or have any more questions. We are here 24x7x365.

<<<BBJ>>> :thud:

Back
Top Bottom